CH 36

"Charlie please..." Alex pleaded. "I promise you I didn't-"

"Can I borrow your phone please?" Charlie said without looking at him.

Alex let out a shaky sigh, almost crying. "Could you please just listen to me?" He whispered. But Chalie didn't answer him. He kept his back towards him, holding himself. Moments passed, and Alex saw that there was no use.

"Fine" He sniffled. He took his phone out and handed it to Charlie.

"Hey" Charlie spoke into the phone. "It's Charlie. Can you come pick me up please?" He said trying to hold back his tears. "No...just me...okay, bye". He hung up and handed the phone back to Alex. "Can I be by myself please?" He said.

Alex opened his mouth as if to say something, but decided against it. Without a word, he went back inside the building.
Charlie sat on the front steps, hiding his face in his hands until Mia drove up to the curb.

***********

The first thing Charlie did when he got home was head straight to his room before Mia could ask what had happened.
He slammed his bedroom door shut and took his stupid suit off, throwing it into an unkown corner of the room.
After getting into PJ's, he went straight to bed. If he was asleep, he didn't have to think about anything or anyone.
He threw the covers over him and burried his head under his pillow In hope he would drift off soon.
But ofcourse, his mind was flooded with burning memories of Alex. He thought of what he did, how things used to be, and how things will be now. His mind went back and forth like a ping ball machine.

"What if he was telling the truth?"

"Would it matter?" A voice in his head hissed. "She's better for him anyway. How could you ever make him happy like she could?"

Hours passed, and Charlie still wasn't asleep and still thinking about him. He threw his pillow off the bed in frustration and sat up. He swung his legs over the edge of the bed and turned his lamp on. When the light came on the first thing he saw was the "Alice In Wonderland" book sitting on the nightstand. He stared at it for a long time, until hot tears came bursting out of him once more.

"Why did he have to be everywhere?"

************

"Charlie?" Mia said knocking on the door. "I made breakfast, your favorite".
Charlie sat up in bed and looked over at his door. He knew he smelt pancakes.
"Can I come in?" Mia asked.

"Mm-hm" Charlie replied. The door creeked open. Mia walked in holding a plate of two pancakes with sliced bannanas on top. She had a seat on his bed and handed him the plate. He signed Thank you to her and picked up his fork.

"Are you feeling alright?" Mia asked in a worried tone. She put a hand up to his forehead. "You don't look so good".
Charlie shrugged while looking down at his pancakes. "Do you wanna talk about what hapened last night?"
He shook his head almost immidiatly. He just wanted to forget about it. "Did something happen between you and Alex?"

Charlie looked up at her. Mia saw how red his eyes were from crying.
She let out a sigh. "I'm sorry Charlie" She said. "I'm sure whatever happened you two can work through it. You guys are like two pease in a pod".

"No we're not"

"And hey" Mia continued. "I'm always ready to listen if you want to talk about it. I'm here for you bub" She said placing a warm hand up to his cheeck. Charlie couldn't help but lean into her touch, he missed physical contact like this. Mia smiled and gave him a much needed hug before making her way back downstairs, leaving Charlie alone to his thoughts once more.