CH 26// Hanging Out Again

If their time wasn't limited, the first thing Alex would have done was bring Charlie back to his tree-house. That way they could just draw, read, talk, and just sit together in the peacful silence.
Instead, they sat criss-cross on a curb in the middle of their town. They didn't mind so much however. All that mattered to them was that they were together.

Alex took a small rock and scraped small designs into the sidewalk. Charlie picked up a small stick that had a small red leaf still attatched. He held the leaf in between his fingers and ran his thumb over it.

"So" Alex said as he drew a swirl next to his foot. "Where did you go?" His eyes never left his designs. Charlie put his stick down in his lap and picked up the small notebook Alex had given to him.

'Redwick Bush, My hometown. I went there to go see my mom's grave. I stayed at my cousin Rachels for a bit'

Charlie placed the note in Alex's lap. Alex's eyes went to the notebook. "What made you come back?" Alex said after reading the note.

Charlie hesitated. He didn't want to think back to that night. Memories flashed in his mind. He remembered the needle. How still her body lay. Her face.
He started to rock back and forth ever so slightly, but it was enough to catch Alex's attention. Charlie quickly wrote him another note, tossed it in his lap and rocked even more. He brought his knees up to his chest and hugged his legs as he rocked himself.

Alex placed a hand on Charlie's shoulder and looked down at the note.

'The police found me' was all that was there. Alex looked back up at Charlie. It was obvious to him that there was more to the story.

"Charlie, did something happen? You can tell me." Alex said wrapping his arm around Charlie's shoulders. Charlie bit his lip and shook his head. Alex sighed but decided to drop the question for now. He wanted to know what was bothering the boy but didn't want to pressure him into telling if he wasn't ready. "It's okay Charlie, you don't have to tell me if your not ready" Alex reassured him. The boy nodded and rested his head on Alex's shoulder. Alex smiled a little and rested his head on Charlies.

The two sat there for a while. Their eyes were looking past the horizon. But their minds were on eachothers touch. Alex took in the scent on Charlie's soft hair, and Charlie took in the warmth and comfort from the arm wrapped around him. It went without saying that If they could, they'd live in this moment forever.

*****

When the time came for Charlie to go, Mia met up with them at the pizza shop. She found them sitting at a table out front, laughing together. Mia smiled to herself. She was delighted to see how happy Charlie was. She walked up to the two and waved. Charlie looked up and waved back, then looked back to Alex.

"Alright, I'll see you around Charlie" Alex said standing up. Charlie stood with him and nodded before giving him a tight hug. Alex giggled and hugged back.

"How about tommorow?" Mia suggested. The boys looked over at her curiously. "For dinner?" Mia continued. "We could pick you up and have dinner at my place". The boy's eyes lit up and they both nodded in agreement. "Excellent!" Mia said clapping her hands.

"Um, could I bring my mom?" Alex asked rather sheepishly.

"Of course!" Mia replied. "Do you guys like Pizza Pasta?"

"Yeah, my mom and I love that stuff" Alex said. Charlie smiled and nodded in agreement. That was a special dish his mom used to make every now and then too.

"Alright, Pizza Pasta it is!" Mia said.
After Alex gave her his adress, Charlie hugged his friend one more time before following Mia to the car.
"Oh, would you like a ride hun?" Mia asked standing by the car door.

"No thanks" Alex said. "I still gatta do a few things before I get home. Thank you though".

"Alright then, see you later Alex" Mia said before getting into her car.

"See ya!" Alex said. He waved to Charlie smiling as they drove off.

****

"Mom! I'm home!" Alex said walking into the door with grocery bags. He placed the bags down onto the counter and started to put cans away when his mom came out of the bedroom.

"Hey sweetie" His mother, Heather, greeted him in a soft voice. She was wrapped up in a pink robe and her hair was a mess. Alex chuckled at the sight.

"Did you have a nice nap?" He asked looking up at her.

"I did" His mother replied. It had been a week since she was well enough to come home from the hospital. The doctor wanted her to take it easy though. Just for a few days before she could go back to work. The doctor was concerned for her health when she did start working again, but Alex reassured him that things would be different this time. He had a job now, meaning she wouldn't have to work so much anymore. He made his first paycheck today, and put it all towards groceries.

Alex's Mom reached down and pulled out a ceral box from one of the bags.
"Oh, I got it mom" Alex said taking the box from her. "You should relax".

Heather let out a laugh. "Oh hush, I feel fine. Besides, I've been doing nothing but relax these past few days. If I relax another minute I might lose it".

"Okay...how about a walk after we're done?" Alex offered. He put the box of ceral on top of the fridge.

"That sounds great actually" Heather replied. "I'll go get dressed, after I help you put these groceries away". She stated. Alex sighed but smiled. He was glad to have his mom back.