Chapter Fourteen

[RYLE]

I noticed something different about Eris today. Just yesterday he was trying to force me to hang out and drink because he was depressed or whatever, but now it's like he wasn't heartbroken at all.

I'm not saying that it's bad. In fact, I'm glad that he's back to being the goofy guy that he is again.

We were at the school cafeteria eating our lunch. Eris stopped munching on his muffin when he noticed me staring at him.

"What?" He asked, having his cheeks stuffed with the muffin.

I shook my head and chuckled lightly. "Nothing. It's just... You seem to be in a good mood," I told him.

He swallowed. "Is that wrong?"

"No. Of course not. So you've gotten over Vanessa then?"

He folded his arms on top of the table and slightly leaned in with a teethy smile. "Vanessa who?"

I was taken by surprise, but only for a second or two. Then I laughed.

I'm happy for him. I'm happy that he's happy again. I'm happy that he's able to fix whatever problem it was that he had because of the break-up.

But suddenly, I remembered something that made me the unhappy one.

I still haven't gotten the chance to talk to Emma and apologize because of what I did yesterday. She still wouldn't answer to my texts nor accept any of my calls. I've chatted her on Facebook, dmed her on Instagram, and even beeped her a snap saying how sorry I was. But all three ended up ignored.

I unconsciously exhaled heavily.

"Woah. That was deep bro. You okay?" Eris asked.

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" I stifled a laugh, sipping on my juice afterwards.

"You sure?" Eris pried. I forced myself to nod and smile. Luckily he was convinced right away.

On cue, three people approached our table.

"Excuse me Ryle?" One of them said. I looked behind my shoulder and flashed a questioning look.

"Just wanted to remind you about the debate club's recruitment event later after school," they said. I heaved a sigh and nodded forcibly.

Not even a minute since they left, a new clique of people came approaching our table. I grunted, causing Eris to shake his head in amusement as he smirked.

"Ryle, soccer practice later okay?"

"Yeah yeah," I said nonchalantly.

When they left, another arrived. Five of them. I rolled my eyes in annoyance. Eris smirked again, taking another bite of what's left of his muffin.

"Yo Ryle!" They greeted, giving me a high-five to which I responded not-so-enthusiastically. They did the same high-five to Eris.

And lastly, the girls. Nancy was with them too. She scooted over to my seat and allowed herself to sit down next to me. The other girls with her chose to sit beside Eris, and the rest chose to seat on the table beside ours.

"Can you believe Professor Wilson this morning?" Nancy started while placing her lunch tray on the table.

Eris swallowed. His muffin was all finished. "Why? What happened?"

"He brought a glass container filled with frogs! He wanted us to dissect it!" Nancy exclaimed, ending her sentence with a quivering look of disgust.

"It was gross," one of her friends sitting on Eris left cringed. I think her name was Pamela.

"Woah cool," Eris said, amazed. "I wish I had Biology. Physics sucks balls," he pouted.