playtime

"(Y/n), is it time to play again?"
You flinched upon hearing the sudden voice in your ear, slowly emerging from your current slumber and glancing behind you. Chucky sat next to you, gently shaking your arm. Once he saw that you had awoken, he smiled happily.
You sighed. Chucky waking you up in the middle of the night wanting to play wasn't uncommon. Although you would much rather go back to bed, you always put Chucky's needs before your own. You wanted him to be happy at all times, and would gladly sacrifice whatever you needed to in order for him to be satisfied. The attention and care he required was similar to that of a child, and you had to treat him as if he were one.
"Sure, baby," you forced a smile, scooping him up and holding him to your chest. "What do you want to play?"
A glance at your alarm clock showed it was barely past midnight. You shook it off and continued to unbox a board game of Chucky's choice. Once set up, you sat it between the two of you on the bed.
"Okay, you remember how to play?" you slurred, yawning quietly.
He nodded, kicking off the game by rolling the dice, then picking up his tiny character and moving it a few steps.
"Your turn!" he beamed, smiling up at you.
You grinned, taking the dice from him and rolling it, then moving your character as well.
As the game carried on, he quickly got ahead of you. You let him beat you by quite a lot, not particularly caring as to how you played, but rather just playing in general.
"(Y/n)?"
You snapped your head up, noticing you had begun to nod off into sleep. You rubbed your eyes and focused back on the game.
"Sorry, bud, who's turn is it again?" you muttered.
Chucky cocked his head, taking in your obvious sleepy state.
"(Y/n), are you... tired?" the robot asked gently.
"What? No, of course not, I-," you yawned again, attempting to hide it by covering your mouth. You sighed, closing your eyes. "Well, I mean, yeah, but... if you wanna keep playing, we can."
Chucky blinked. "But if my best buddy is tired, they need to go to sleep!"
"You sure? I don't wanna go to bed if you still wanna play."
The doll shook his head. "My best buddy always comes first."
You looked up at him, slowly beginning to smile. You chuckled at what he had said. You had always put him before you, but as it turns out, he merely wished to do the same.
Laughing quietly, you scooped him into your arms and fell back onto the bed, not even bothering to put up the game. You held him to your chest, your face nestled in his hair.
"Thanks for looking out for me, Chucky," you whispered.
He smiled and closed his eyes, deciding to join you in sleep.