halloween

On the night of Halloween, you agreed to tag along to watch as your younger family members went trick-or-treating. You held Chucky close as you followed your family from house to house, the kids receiving candy at each one.
  "Y'know, I almost wish I were younger so that I could get some free candy, too," you joked.
  Chucky grinned, his head swiveling from side to side as he surveyed the countless children running about in their costumes.
  The chilly night dragged on until, finally, your family stopped at their final house. Immediately you noticed the kids hesitating at the front of the lawn, nervously eyeing the excessive Halloween decor placed throughout the yard.
  There were fake zombie statues clawing their way to the surface, their mouths gaping in snarls. Skeletons were splayed throughout the yard. A few wax figures of people dying in the bloodiest ways were propped up here and there. Clowns, ghosts, and everything creepy in existence were decorating the yard, but the most noticeable detail was all the fake blood smeared and splattered everywhere.
  You felt Chucky's fingers dig deeper into your shoulders. Looking down, you saw him cowering against you, his big blue eyes wide and frightened. You knew that he was traumatized by any and all forms of gore ever since his incident with Andy.
  Quickly, you excused yourself and held his head under your chin, hurrying past the house and down the sidewalk before turning the corner and sitting down against a fence.
  "Hey, hey, it's okay. It's okay, buddy, I'm here," you whispered, rocking him back and forth.
  "I don't like sc-scary things," he whimpered, hiding his face in your jacket.
  "Oh, I know, baby. Shhh, everything's okay. I've got ya," you kissed his head and hugged him closer, murmuring reassurances.
  After a few minutes, you pulled back and looked him in the eye. He slowly brightened up, his precious smile returning. You giggled and nuzzled his forehead with your nose.
  "See? It's okay. I'll always be here to protect you, I promise," you cooed.
  His smile spread wider and he snuggled back into your embrace. You fondly caressed his ginger locks, continuing to place kisses all over his face.
  I'll always be here to protect you.