6

tyler scribbled down at one of the papers in front of him. he just wanted somebody to understand. but how could someone understand a story that hasn't been told, let alone a story that he doesn't even understand?

his hand finally stopped, the only sound in the silent room being the pen hitting his desk. he'd finally hit a blank.

after six hours of nonstop writing, it's like his brain ran out. he decided to go upstairs.

he listened to the small pattern of hit sock-clad feet tip-toeing up the stairs. it had to be at least seven in the morning.

upon opening the basement door, rays of light shone through. tyler couldn't remember the last time he saw daylight.

he continued a quiet tip-toe toward the kitchen. his habits were unhealthy. he'd barely spoken to anyone in the past month, he'd barely eaten, and the last time he looked in the mirror was two weeks ago.

the scent of coffee filled the hallway and for once, coffee sounded amazing to the brunette.

"morning, tyler." a voice spoke up. josh sat at one of the counter bar stools, sipping on his french pressed coffee.

"uh, hi." tyler stammered over his words. lord, was he a terrible sight.

he had a beard growing unevenly, his eye bags were deeper than black holes, there was an overlying red patchiness on his face. josh never expected to see his friend in so many horrific layers of clothes.

"you're dressed like my dad." josh spoke shamelessly. tyler just wrinkled his nose with a stifled half laugh.

"at least i have hair on my head." tyler chuckled back, referring to josh's newly shaved head.

the laughing dies down into a lingering silence. tyler didn't realize how much he missed his best friend. god, it was gonna be hard facing jenna again.

"maybe you should clean up before the girls get back. you look a little rough, dude." josh's lips squished into a thin line.

"yeah, i'll try." he gave an inside smile before heading off to his shared bedroom.