The Phantom God

Erza stepped away from Naruto when she heard those words. Her face was a bit flustered as she placed her hands on her chest. Did it really affect her that much? Was she happy or just confused that he actually likes her? Erza really couldn't really tell. But she knew what the blond meant by those words and he was being very serious about it. It was another question on whether it was coming from the heart or not.

Naruto was not a liar was he? He wasn't just telling that he likes her just because he wanted something from her, was it? Since the Tower of Heaven, she could say that they had been getting closer a bit. He talked and smiled a more with her than he used to. Erza could say that what she was feeling inside her was mixed.

She didn't have the urges to smack him around for saying something so carelessly. Well, it wouldn't go so well even if she tried. But how did she know if she didn't try? Would he hit her back or would he dodge if she tried to hit him? What bearing would it have if she does end up hitting him successfully without him trying to hit her back?

She could not know unless she tried.

Without a warning, Erza punched Naruto in the face. The blond staggered back a bit before balancing himself. He looked surprised as he massaged his nose. Erza was a little surprised that he hadn't tried to dodge it. She had fought him and she knew if he was being serious, he would have dodged that punch. So, why did he look so surprised and why didn't he dodge that punch.

"Why did you hit me?"

Erza stared Naruto for a few moments before turning away. She continued walking back towards the camp with Naruto right beside her. Erza glanced at the blond: he was looking straight at her, not focusing on the narrow road ahead. He didn't look angry, just patiently waiting for her answer.

Titania folded her hands across her chest: she felt somewhat relieved and all those mixed feelings had calmed down. She could speak effectively without looking flustered. "I thought you would try to dodge or block it," she managed to say.

Naruto tilted his head to the side. "My hands are not an automatic defence mechanism, you," the blond responded.

Well, provided this was Erza he was dealing with, he couldn't say that the reaction was bad. It could have been worse. She was still talking to him and in a calm manner. It didn't appear as if she had hit him because he was just hitting on her. Perhaps she was taking him seriously. Well, he was not the child who played around with girls and Erza must have acknowledged that.

Naruto was surprised with himself though. He hadn't thought that he would actually say something like that now of all times and here of all places. It hadn't really been planned, but he had said it and he had to face it. If Erza hadn't asked why he did what he does, he probably wouldn't have said it to her.

"Automatic defence..?"

That just reminded him of Gaara's defence. Ah, the good natured Jinchuriki who started as a blood thirsty monster that killed all but later turned into a kind hearted Kazekage. How had his life turned so bad that he would become Gaara and forget all the kindness he once held? Naruto shook his head. Now was not really the time to be having such thoughts. They really didn't do him any good.

"A defensive technique that acts automatically when you're threatened," Naruto responded calmly. "One of that nature doesn't really exists," well, Gaara's jutsu was supplemented by something. It could be said to be automatic because Gaara didn't have to activate it for it to work. It could function even in his sleep.

The perfect mother's protection.

Erza just nodded. "Why didn't you dodge or block?" She asked in a quiet tone.