Chapter 28

Erza looked down the streets from the window inside the room she shared with some of her fellow guild mates. She had a rather forlorn look on her face as she looked down at the streets. How long has it been since Naruto disappeared from the face of this world after leaving a mark in this country and in her heart?

A long year that has felt like many many years.

All signs pointed out that he was dead and that no one would see him again. He had in fact been fighting the strongest being in this world and from far away, it hadn't looked as if a human was fighting against a dragon. Perhaps could say a monster had been fighting against another monster. It had been pulsating as tremors shook the country. Many must have wondered what was going on in the country.

She had known that he was powerful, but not that powerful. How amazing it was that someone could really possess that much power. Still, it appeared as if it could not save him from the dragon of apocalypse. The dragon that had driven fear even into the heart of Gildarts – who she could say was a monster on his own right.

The fact that Naruto had disappeared with everything of his being left little hope to many that he was somehow alive. They had searched the sea, deep and everywhere, but they had not found him. It couldn't be that Acnologia had wiped him off existence as the dragon had appeared to be defeated and crippled.

But where could have gone to?

There was no sign of his existence anywhere in earthland and even that woman called Aika had admitted that the clone the eternal clone that usually hanged around her place had just disappeared from existence without a word. It had apparently worried her as Naruto had informed her that it was impossible for the clone to simply just vanish if he was still in this world.

Not in this world meant he was dead.

That is what that woman had said when she appeared in Fairy Tail. Erza had not believed it and even that woman had admitted it herself that she found it impossible to believe that Naruto could be killed even if he was fighting against a dragon.

All that was left now was just hope. It was the hope that kept her believing that she would see him once again. He could not simply just vanish like that.

"Erza," Mirajane called the redhead mage while sitting on the edge of her bed. "Is it because these games were created with his efforts that you have become like this again?"

Everything had been fine before they started the magical games hosted in the capital city of Fiore. It had been until Princess Hisui came to them to ask about Naruto and ended up revealing that he had organized the matches and helped her prepare for the games.

Surprisingly, she didn't seem to think that the blond was actually dead. She actually thought that he was still alive and very kicking. Mirajane had been very surprised to see the princess hold a firm belief to that Naruto was actually alive and not dead.

Even she didn't have much that belief. She actually thought he might have died. It was unlike him to actually just disappear like that. Even though he regularly vanished, he did make it a point to say he would be gone but this time, there was nothing and everyone who knew him didn't have anything about him, even the woman who had known him before everyone at Fairy Tail didn't know anything.

Mira thought keeping hold of that hope would bring nothing more than misery and that it was just safe to move on with life, but that didn't mean that she would actually forget about him. She would always carry the memories of him in her heart and mind.

Erza didn't turn away from the window as she responded, "Perhaps," she said after a few moments of silence. "I shouldn't think too much of this. We have final matches to win," she added in a slightly firm tone.