4

"Billy... listen..." the small girl attempted to reason. She had been out of the hospital a couple of days and had agreed to meet her fiancée to break it off. Tommy has been kind enough to give her the house for a couple of hours. The discussion wasn't going as well as she had hoped.
"Listen? You want me to listen girl? Remember the shit we've been through. The things I gave up for you. And you just up and left? Because I gave you what you needed?" She gulped a little.
"You hit me because I wandered my own phone. The night before was because I left a window open. Billy. That isn't right. I don't want to marry you." He chuckled a little standing up to straighten his jacket.
"What are you going to do iris? Your pregnant. With my child. I'll ruin you. I'll tell everyone that your a whore." He lent across the table getting sickeningly close to her.
"I'm not keeping it. You wanted to know why I was in hospital billy. I was trying to put this poor child out of its misery. No child should ever have to live with the fact your it's father." With that the table flew across the room iris was knocked on the floor hands wrapped around her throat. He screamed an incoherent mess in her face as she struggled to break free. She began to give up as he looked her dead in the eyes
"No tommy Shelby to run to now." With one final shove she kicked the bigger man in the groin getting up. She spun on the heels gun in hand aiming at his head.
"Stay right there. Billy I swear to god don't fucking move." She grabbed the phone failing a number.
"Hello"
"Tell the Shelby boys to get home. Now." She put the phone down and looked back at him. "You've got two options. Stay. Either I'll put a bullet in your head or they will. Or you leave now. Go back to London and never fucking come back. But they'll find you. They always will and then... your all theirs."

Tommy raced into the kitchen. "Iris!" He looked around at the mess and the blood on the floor. The smashed glass and flipped table. She sat on the floor legs crossed neatly with a bottle of whiskey and a lit cigarette between her teeth. Billy lay on the floor completely out of it. She was watching him pointing the gun at him still. Her neck was littered with bruises and somehow blood from her nose had trickled all the way to her chest her lip was cut and swollen and her eyes seemed glassy.
"Pet... what happened..." Tommy was soon joined by his brothers in the doorway. She let out a cloud of smoke.
"He tried to kill me..." she stood up grabbing the whiskey. She pushed the gun into Tommy's chest looking at him. "So I shot him." She walked right past them all disappearing into the bathroom. Tommy walked closer to the man finally seeing the blood leaking from the perfect circle in his forehead.
"Arthur. Clean up this mess. John help him." Tommy walked straight into the bathroom where iris stood cleaning the blood off her face.
"Pet... are you alright." She looked at him with a smile.
"Never better. How was work." Tommy was more than confused at this remark. It wasn't like her. Not this.
"Work isn't my concern right now. And it's not yours." She began to unbotton her bloody shirt and looked over her shoulder at him.
"I told you tommy. I fucking told you. When the time came I was going to pull that trigger. And now I've fucking done it ain't I? Now I'm fucking ruined. Still got a baby on the way. I don't know what the fuck I'm- ah shit." Iris grabbed her stomach almost collapsing to her knees. Tommy rushed forward holding her up. He pulled her to lay on the bed. "Tommy. Tommy shit" she held his hand tightly as the blood began to fill the bed.
"Shit... POLLY! SOMEONE FUCKING GET POLLY!" Iris was in tears.
For the next few hours tommy stood outside the room listening to the sobs, Listening to Polly hush her. Then it all stopped. The sheets were taken away and Polly assured him she was okay. And that she was just best left alone for the moment.

Tommy respected this. He respected this for weeks. She continued to work for him. And live in his room with him. They spoke at work and that was it. Just silence when they climbed into bed. Pure silence. This is how things remained. Until she came along. That pretty blonde bitch as iris described her. She was no good. And didn't they all know it.