6

Here they were again. The garrison. Him sat at the bar watching her. She sat listening to drunk men as they showered her with drinks.
"Why is she like that?" Grace stood cleaning glasses tommy raised an eyebrow still watching her.
"Like what?" He lit a cigarette not bothering to tear his eyes away.
"Broken. The war broke you tommy. What broke her." He finally looked at Grace that one comment had made him angry of sorts. Rattled his cage if you would.
"She has her reasons Grace. She isn't broken I can tell you that.-"
"Aren't you Tommy's girl." He heard the faithful words from across the bar and stopped. He didn't move he just listened.
"What's it to you?" The man chuckled and as quick as day tommy was there holding the mans arm.
"And what is your problem because I can assure you the lady has nothing to do with it." The man looked shaken and shook his head.
"There's a lad outside. Said he'd pay me to come in here and get tommy Shelby's girl outside." Her and tommy shot eachother a looks and she shot to her feet racing tommy to get outside. Tommy beat her too it. He punched the boy to the ground grabbing his shirt.
"You piece of shit!" She finally got outside as the brothers showed up.
"TOMMY STOP IT!" John grabbed her and Arthur went straight for tommy dragging him off the younger lad.
"Tommy stop man! Stop! Leave him be!" At this point everyone from the bar had come outside to see the spectacle. The boy dragged himself to his feet and looked at iris as blood ran down his face.
"I deserved that. Come on iris no hello for your brother." She shoved John off her and looked at the lad with a burning rage. She looked at tommy and then back at the boy.
"I'll meet you at home tommy." He didn't say a word frankly shocked at her words. She walked past the lad only for him to grab her arm. She spun on her heel giving a strong right hook knocking him over. "Never touch me again. Fuck off back to whatever hole you crawled out of." Tommy put a hand on her shoulder and pulled her away.
"Come on pet. Arthur can you take my meetings today." Iris began to walk and the lad shouted after her.
"Iris! We're family! Come on!" She chuckled
"Fuck off leon." Tommy came to walk next to her and chuckled.
"Please let me hurt him." She laughed and rolled her eyes.

Tommy sat at the table the next morning as iris cooked for the both of them. He grew nervous at the conversation he was about to start.
"Pet... turn that off and sit down please." She looked over her shoulder and done as asked.
"I've got to do something and you can't be angry."  And scoffed and poured a glass of whiskey.
"Oh this'll be good."
"I'm taking grace to the races tonight." He managed to grab her arm preventing the glass from being launched at his face. "Please pet. Listen first. Billy kimber has a taste in women. I need to sweeten him. If I take you he'd be all over you and there's no way in hell im letting him breath around you." She pulled her hand away still holding the glass in a threatening way.
"You promise." He nodded
"Yes now please pet. Put the glass down. You and I both know you don't mean to harm me." She thought for a moment and put the glass down.
"Billy touches her that's it. She does anything with you I'll cut her tommy." He got up walking to her pulled her head against his body as she stayed seated. She stroked her hair and smiled
"I know pet. Now don't wait up. I'll be home in no time."