Chapter Twenty-Seven

Soronsbo looks at Blake darkly. His lips press into a thin line before he opens them.

"No."

Before Blake can respond, Soronsbo starts to chant from the book. His hands wave as if he had come out of a bad horror movie.

"Salve, salve, parve

Vocati estis, ego non potestis audire aliquid

Et ego opera habeo nullum

In clava, quem vides, videas

Wha, wha, quid dicis?

O vos erant 'praevaricationem usque in me

Nos paenitet, non possum te audiunt

Im 'pius occupatus" I hear him chant.

My blood grew cold and my tears wet my face as I heard the fearful words leave his mouth. What was he saying? What was he going to do to me?

"Baby!" I heard Blake yell at me. As I turned to him, I tried to reach out my hand to grab his, but I couldn't. I was too short and too weak.

"Block your thoughts!" He yelled at me. "Don't let him get into your head! Block him out! I'm going to get us out of here baby just block your thoughts!"

I listened to him and lay back down. I tried my best to relax and ignore the words recited by Soronsbo. I began to think of clouds. All types of clouds began to fill my thoughts and take over my mind. I could feel them pressing and pushing against a force which tried to enter my head, but I kept thinking. The more I thought, the more I pushed away Soronsbo's power from affecting me.

As I continued to think, I could hear loud grunts and growls nearby. I didn't open my eyes as I didn't want to become distracted and weaken my cloud defense, instead I blocked it out. However, the grunts and growls became louder and angrier. Eventually, they were paired with the sound of ripping rope and splintering wood. Still, I kept my eyes shut. This may be a mind game by Soronsbo to scare me into opening my eyes.

As I try my best to ignore it, I hear a howl break through my thoughts and cause my eyes to snap open. It's Blake. He's turned.

As I gaze at the sight in front me, I see a white wolf standing at 8-feet tall growling at Soronsbo. However, he seems unphased and continues to chant

"O,

Saporem tuum et labia tua

Im 'in a ride

Es toxicus slippin Im 'in

Cum autem gustum de paradiso venenum"

At the sound of this, I begin to feel dizzy and my eyes roll back. Blake let's out another howl and begins to charge at Soronsbo. He knocks over the table and the book, causing Soronsbo to become silent as he scrambles to find the page he was originally on.

Whilst Soronsbo is distracted, Blake turns around and grabs me in his mouth. He makes sure to hold me gently and not to hurt me as he runs through the tent flap and deep into the woods. As we run, I can feel his panting get harder and more frequent. He's tired. Or maybe he's feeling sick like I am. My head behind to spin more and my neck falls back and dangles as Blake runs. I can't keep it up anymore. What was Soronsbo doing? Why do I feel like this?

Eventually, Blake collapses and drops me.

My head bumps on the ground but I'm too weak to stand up. I let out small grunts to try get a response from Blake so I know whether or not he's okay.

"Blake..." I moan. I hear no response.

"Blake...." I try again.

My chest starts to tighten as I'm met with silence again. He's the only one I have.

"Blake..." I try one more time. My fingernails dig into the dirt as I try push myself up to look for him, but I can't.

"Mia..." I hear a weak voice call out quietly.

"Baby are you ok?" the voice repeats.

I whimper as I'm finally able to hear his voice. I eventually hear light rustling and rough fingertips brushing on top of mine. I muster up all the strength within me to wrap my fingers around his fingertips and hold them tight.

As we lay on the leafy ground, the sound of our breathing is all we hear. We're too weak to talk. Occasional brushing of the fingers is all we can really do to show the other that we love one another.

As we look up at the sky, I can feel both of our minds becoming weaker. It's so tragic that it's funny. It's taken me having to lose my memory to finally learn how to link my mind with Blake's to know what he's feeling. He knows the end is coming and so do I.

I close my eyes and listen to his thoughts. I'm immersed into a sensory feast of all the sounds, images, smells and voices that built his memories of us.

I watch him think about our first meeting at school. How he grabbed my waist and picked me up. How our lips were painfully close to one another. How he knew he annoyed me, but he didn't know how else to communicate with me.

He thinks about the party and how he saved me. How complete he felt when he lifted me up on the balcony and how heavenly I smelled.

I take a break from his thoughts and remember my own.

I remember how he spoiled me at iHop. The beans I ate. When he didn't care about my two-day old underwear. When he taught me how to vape in the hospital car park when my brother was in a coma.

I remember how safe he made me feel. How he made sure I was clothed and fed. How he went to the ends of the Earth to protect me from Jared and Chase.

I know he's reading my thoughts right now, and I want him to know that this isn't his fault. I love you Blake.

I feel a small twitch come from Blake's hand. He can hear my thoughts too. But I can also feel the weakness spreading.

"I love you Blake" I repeat out loud. I just hear silence for a few moments before his voice responds quietly.

"I love you too Mia. Always."

The crunching of leaves starts to fill our ears. As the sound gets closer, I realise that there are two separate pairs of feet making it.

As I open my eyes, I see Soronsbo and Julian standing above, examining us.

"Do you think it's worked yet?" Julian asks.

"I'm not sure...they haven't fallen asleep ye- ah, finally" I hear Soronsbo reply. His voice begins to fade. As I listen to him, my eyelids grow heavy and I feel my brain forcing me to sleep.

Before I fall asleep, I hear one more thing.

"Let them go. Now."

Wait...is that...