Chapter 17 || Facade

Knock knock

"(Y/n)" his muffled voice says through the door.

I tense my body as I hear him. I didn't know if I slept or not. I collapsed onto the bed and just stared out the window until I saw the sun start shining.

"It's time for breakfast." I hear him say. When I didn't respond, I slowly feel his footsteps head for the stairs.

I feel around in my pocket to make sure the hardrive was still there. I brush out my hair with my fingers and I leave my room to head downstairs.

I get to the dining room to see Jeremy and Margaret standing on either side of Covard. Covard was sitting upright and hadn't touched the food. It's like he was waiting for me.

I eye him as I sit down across from him.

"Eat m'lady." He grins.

"Don't call me that." I stress. I take my fork and take some eggs and pancakes and sausage with other things.

We both eat in silence, but I couldn't eat much. The thought of me dining with Covard made me want to throw up alone. I felt the tension in the air and I wished I wasn't there.

I finish eating. "I need to go run some errands." I stand up. "And you will let me." I look at him. "On my terms." I make clear.

"How do I know you're going to come back."  He questions as he stops eating.

"You're going to have to trust me." I make my way towards the stairs.

"Margaret, Jeremy, stab eachother with knives if (y/n) doesn't come back before 3pm today." I hear him say and I stop. Though hurting him won't do anything, if anything it will make it worse so I continue up the stairs to change.

I change into jeans and a T-shirt with a hoodie over. I make sure the hard drive is in my pocket before I head downstairs.

"Darling!" I hear him say but I don't stop. I shrug pass him towards the front door. "Darling." He says again, sticking a credit card in my face. "Bring back some Chinese food will you?"

I scowl but I take the card anyway. I wasn't going to pass up free money anyway. I slam the door behind me and get into a busy street where I flagged down a taxi.

I tell him the location and I take the hard drive out to observe it more carefully. It seemed old. The sharpie on the stick was faded.

'What're you hiding?' I think.

"We're here." I say as the driver stops.

"Thank you." I say and pay him as I get out of the car. I look around me to see if anyone was there and I pull my hood up. I stare at the large dull building in front of me that had the engraving 'New York Public Library' somewhere on the front.

i tuff my hands in my pocket and walk into the library. i find my way to a computer towards a wall. i take the hard drive and plug it into the computer. I look at its files and find some videos.

'3xp341m3nt#1'. It was named.

I nervously hover the mouse over the file as I put the headphones on. With a deep breath I click on the file and immediately I'm deafened by screams, making me jump. I see a few eyes dart to me but I didn't care.

"Stay still Carl!" The man said as he pushed the neck of the kid down onto the metal table. The child was bald and in a hospital gown. He had something surrounding his head like a helmet and tubes sticking out of him.

"No! Daddy please!" He cries.

My heart clenches and I start to flinch. Daddy? That's his father. I grab the edge of the keyboard and squeeze tight to keep me from spiraling from reality.