Chapter 35: High School - Seventeenth Part

When we return to the classroom, Mizuki and Suzaku bombard us with questions full of worry. I'm thankful that they don't bring up how red my eyes are.

Lunchtime during the day after the incident.

Anyway, with the summer break so close, the atmosphere in the classroom is growing restless.

"Is Amano Yuu in this classroom?"

Yuu: "...Eh? Ah, yes..."

Relaxing after eating lunch, I'm surprised to hear my name called out from the classroom's entrance. The student is serious with a slender face. He's not very tall. His gesture of pushing up his glasses makes me nervous.

What does he want from me?

Teruki whispers into Suzaku's ears. "...Who's that?"

Suzaku: "...Isn't he the Student Council's assistant, Yukimura-san? If I'm not mistaken, he's a second year. At the time of my matriculation, he was my caretaker...He's the person that told me about those rumors surrounding Amano."

Teruki: "...That guy..."

Teruki watches over Yukimura's movements with care. He taps my shoulder lightly as if asking if I'm okay.

Yukimura: "...Amano-kun, may I have some of your time? I would like to speak with you."

Yuu: "...Ah, yes."

Right as I'm about to nod-I'm unable to refuse the mood-Suzaku breaks into our conversation.

Suzaku: "...Yukimura-san, it's been a long time. I am indebted to your care during my first days of study. May I also come along? It has also been a while since we last spoke."

Yukimura: "...Suzaku-kun, huh...? Well, I don't mind. Will you get over here?"

Teruki: "...Senpai, can I come as well?"

When Teruki calls out his name, the upperclassman looks at me coldly.

Yukimura: "...Amano-kun, can we talk one on one? Byakko-kun is making things difficult.** (T/N: I think the literal translation is "Byakko-kun is showing his reluctance," but it sounds less awkward this way.) I don't intend to make matters bigger than they actually are."

Teruki: "...!"

Suzaku: "...Byakko, just end it here. Anyway, leave it to me." Clutching his fist in frustration, Suzaku passes by Teruki and whispers in a soft voice.

We leave the classroom, heading for an audio-vision room's entrance. It's at the outskirts of the building. During this time of day, it's unused with not a soul around.

Yukimura-senpai who is walking ahead seems nervous, adjusting his glasses neurotically. Then he faces me.

Yukimura: "I'll tell it to you straight...You seduced President Houou in the Student Council office last morning, isn't that right?"

Yuu: "...Eh?"

Yukimura: "You're childhood friends, yet in the end you always hover around President Houou. The Student Council office is a sacred workplace...Moreover, to target early mornings when there are less people around, are you not a coward? ...You are jealous. To tear up the relationship between those two...that kind of thing...is wretched, Amano."

Yuu: "...I...it's different!"

I deny Yukimura-senpai's words instinctively.

Yukimura: "...What is different? You're jealous of Hasumyouji, aren't you? Poor thing...He was crying. I will not forgive your reckless actions...Irresponsible. Stop loitering in front of President Houou and Hasumyouji."