15. I'll still be here. - Nick

"Turn the radio off, please," Natalia says

Battered and bruised Sierra is on my mind, and Nat's words didn't register until Matt flicked it off. Nat's tone is a stark contrast from what I've grown accustomed to—a fiery ball of energy and sass. Tonight, her voice is meek; full of concern.

The three of us stride through the parking lot toward the words Emergency Room lit up in neon red.

We stride through the parking lot toward the words Emergency Room lit up in neon red. Wind rushes through as the automatic doors slide shut with a whooshing sound, sending Natalia's long hair flying. The man at the visitor information desk quirks an eyebrow as we approach. "We're here for Sierra Carr," Nat pants.

"Are you family?"

Natalia flicks the notion away with her hand. "I'm her sister."

Something surreal prickles at the back of my neck as we careen on autopilot under the garish fluorescent lighting. It's peaceful, and it's eerie here; only a few hushed voices from medical professionals near the end of the hall.

"There," I breathe out, pointing to a room with the door ajar.

An uncertain Natalia pauses as we approach the door. "Um, are we allowed to go in?"

Matt sucks his teeth. "Not sure. She might be getting checked over."

I spot Sierra in the first bed as Natalia pushes the door open. "Whatever," she snaps. "I'm not standing around for fun."

My heart drops into my stomach. CrossFit Dude is with Sierra. Scratch that. He's in bed with her, his hand curled around her face pressed into his neck, glaring at me.

Groaning, I turn on my heel and walk away to the waiting area, sliding into one of the hard plastic chairs. The TV drones on as I scowl at the floor.

Mateo joins me a minute or two later without a word, and I bounce my leg until Natalia and Brian join us. Brian's still throwing daggers at me, and I'm growing livid, but I inhale a sharp breath and offer him my hand. "Brian, hey, man, I'm grateful you stopped everything. How is she?"

He clears his throat. "She's okay. They gave her another sedative, and she's exhausted."

I exhale, my lips trilling, running my hand over my face. "I'm still kinda freaking out."

He nods, giving me a cool once over, and my eyes linger on his bandaged hand. Looks like he beat the hell out of Doug.

Nat stands. "I'm calling her mom." She walks down the hallway, digging her phone from her pocket.

I glance at CrossFit Gu—Brian—his name is Brian. "Did you break your hand on that fucking asshole?"

"Almost. Zane forced me to quit." There's no humor in his laugh.