20. What are house rules? - Nick

Mateo peers at me for the dozenth time while an obnoxious Ricky Martin song blares overhead

Mateo peers at me for the dozenth time while an obnoxious Ricky Martin song blares overhead. Matt's lips aren't devil red, and his skin is darker than the color of mocha, but if he doesn't speak up, he will surpass the repetitive lyrics in annoying me.

"What?"

Matt buys time, rubbing the nape of his neck while scanning the bar and grill. "Where was Sierra headed this weekend?"

"Some family party."

He slides his phone across the well-worn wooden table, face up. I snatch it as the food arrives. "Thank you," I tell the server, glancing at the phone. My heart flops to my Converse at the photo of Sierra and CrossFit Dude cuddled up at an outdoor party.

She's sitting on his lap? I hate this.

***

Mateo hesitates in the lit-up lobby of my dorm. "Do you want me to ask Nat?"

I wave my hand. "No, I'll talk to Sierra. Thanks, man."

CrossFit guy's Instagram features her every couple of posts. Maybe he's a friendly ex-boyfriend? Nothing wrong with friendship.

We decided to become exclusive and see how things develop, and this picture gave me a gut punch. I screenshot it and text her, bouncing my leg as she replies.

📱 SIERRA
Hi Nicholas! I miss you. I have time to talk now if you want.

NICK
Call you in one minute.

Remnants of my study session clutter my bed; laptop, child psychology textbook, noise-canceling headphones to ignore Jeremy, empty water bottles, and a Quest bar. I click my phone into the tripod holder and sweep everything off my bed. Two rings before she answers.

"Hi there."

Unrecognizable music plays in the distance behind her, and a blue hue from her phone illuminates her face. "Hi! What are you up to?"

"Um, I had dinner with Matt. What about you?"

Reclined on a bed, cozied up with an oversized hoodie and her hair piled into a messy bun like my sister Ari sometimes wears, her shoulders rise and fall as she grins. "I'm exhausted, so I'm in bed, but earlier, I attended a birthday party. Chris and Josh are like my little brothers, and they turned eighteen last week."

"Ohhh, so it's not blood family."

"Nope, they're Brian's brothers."

CrossFit Guy.

Silence hangs in the air, and Sierra clears her throat. "You wanted to talk about the picture?"

I run a hand over my face, unable to think of the right thing to say. "It looked cozy."

Eyebrows pinched together, Sierra wets her lips. "Did that make you jealous?"

"Was that the goal?"

"No! I—listen, Brian has been my best friend for, like, six years. Friends only, I promise you. We've never liked each other. But, Nicholas, I have to say something important to you."