41. I've got you. - Sierra

Two more weeks fly by, and I am blissfully happy at the Garrett's house

Two more weeks fly by, and I am blissfully happy at the Garrett's house. The serious discussion Nick shared with his parents on Thanksgiving was about working for them. Something he never planned on but surprisingly enjoys.

Several times per week, Nick's daytime hours are tied up at his parents' investment firm. And I'm lucky: except for the three days I spent with the Peña's, I spend all of my free time with Ariella and Luke.

Nicholas left for work looking fine as hell in fitted gray pants and a black sweater, and I'm patiently counting the minutes until he returns from dinner with Jim and clients.

Much to the delight of their parents, we fell into a pattern of making dinner together for the family, and I've had a blast teaching the Garrett kids the same ways I learned to cook.

Ariella dances around the kitchen, singing into a spatula while Luke roughly chops garlic cloves.

"You know what? It's so nice to be with you guys," I tell them while trimming chicken.

"I know, I love having you here!" Ari pipes up, hopping from one foot to the other.

"I think you guys are awesome."

"I think you're awesome, too," Luke says. The knife protests against the cutting board as he slides the garlic into the waiting saucepan of butter.

He squints, bending down as the heated butter hisses, then snatches the spatula from Ari's grip to stir.

"I'm so much younger than my brothers. I always wanted to have siblings close to my age. You guys feel like family to me."

Ari runs over to me and gives me a huge hug from behind. "I love you. I think you're the best big sister ever."

"I love you, too, sweetie," I say, leaning back into her. I would hug her back if my hands weren't covered in food.

Luke angles against a counter, smiling and looking at his hands. "Sierra, are you guys going to get married?"

He still keeps his eyes averted as I glance over, chuckling. "You'd probably have to ask Nick that, too."

"Well, I'd be glad if you did."

Caroline walks in a while later, humming happily, and Ariella disappears for a few upstairs while Luke and I serve up food. Throughout dinner, Ari is uncharacteristically quiet, picking at her food.

"Sierra, what am I going to do without you?" Linney says, pinching my side affectionately as we clear dishes.

"Hey, these two know what they're doing!"

"Wait a minute, how did I just get drafted?" Luke jokes.

The door to the garage opens, revealing Nick and Jim, Jim calling out hello first. "Hey, family!" Nick calls out, sweeping his eyes across the room, landing on me.