58. Nobody knew. - Sierra

Look at him, all nervous like I'd think twice about marrying the man of my dreams

My heart surges as I break into a grin and suck in a breath, wanting to remember every detail of tonight. Every single moment.

I carefully hit my knees, cup his face, and kiss him with all the fire in my heart for how this man loves me. "Nicholas, I'd love to marry you."

Salty tears mingle with our kiss. I bury my face into his chest, holding on for dear life. My heart's so full it might split in two. "I love you so, so much," he says. "We don't have to get married right away. I can wait however long you want, okay?"

"Okay," I murmur, squeezing him again. I connect our foreheads and squeeze my eyes shut as my heart pounds erratically. "Love you madly."

***

This two-carat diamond platinum ring superseded my red dress as the prettiest thing I own.

Nick and Rose surprised the hell out of me when she emerged. While he eagerly checks photos, I wipe my tears and whip out my phone. I have to tell her. The video chat rings twice before Natalia fills the screen. "Hi, babe!"

I stop short. "Oh my gosh, do you know?"

"Know what?"

Mateo leans his chin over her shoulder. "Hi, SiSi."

"Hey, Matt! What's up?"

"Walking around downtown. How about you? Is Nick working?"

The elevator doors pop open, and I hurry to board. "Nope!"

I flip the camera around, ring on full display. Rose jumps as Natalia's shriek fills the elevator. "What! Why didn't Nick tell me?"

Nick glances up with a sheepish smile. "Nobody knew except my family."

"Oh, come on!"

"You wouldn't have been able to keep it a secret," Mateo points out.

I burst out laughing then flip the camera back around. "You'll be my maid of honor?"

"Oh my gosh, girl, of course. Show me the ring again."

***

I can't stop grinning.

We hurry up the front walk and through the garage door, laughing like giddy children. Which I guess we are. Caroline meets my gaze across the room, and tears immediately flow. I forgot in the whirlwind of agreeing to marry my best friend what the fringe benefits would be. The Garrett Bubble.

"I'm so happy," I sniffle, hugging her tighter. "But I can't stop crying."

Linney chuckles, touching the back of my hair. "See, you're already a Garrett."