46. I'm done with you now. - Sierra

4:37 AM

4:37 AM

It's impossible to sleep, and I move from the covers to not wake Nick. My heart gushes at my sweet boyfriend peacefully sleeping. He's such a good man; his heart might be the most beautiful place in the world.

And I was happy. Actually happy with Nick's family. Now I'm here to mourn a man who was dead to me long ago, and I can't fake it when I'm alone.

Grimacing, I glare at the obituary in my hands. "I really hate you," I whisper to my dad's name. "For everything you did and didn't do. And the fact that I have to be here."

The compulsion to punish myself is irresistible. The cap of my red Sharpie protests as I wedge it between my teeth, then yank. I raise my leg in the air to brace against my knee and dot around my ankle bone.

Everything aches yet somehow I feel numb. I hurt my best friend and disappoint everybody who cares about me. I bring the fine point felt tip to my inner arms.

"Might as well," I murmur. "Long-sleeved dress anyway."

Intrusive thoughts plague my mind as I press the tip to my skin and scrawl tiny words in violent scarlet.

My mom's dismissive attitude. How I always came next to last. MISTAKE.

Brian's voice when I turned down his invitation. Wrestling with guilt every time a random guy looks my way. BITCH.

Everybody's evident pity when they meet my gaze. How I make everybody's life that much harder. BURDEN.

How much I despise my reflection in the mirror. My scars, how everything inside me feels heavy, how I just can't let go and be loved by Nicholas. HIDEOUS.

Biting my tongue, I swallow tears, fighting the urge to dig into my skin when Nick says my name. Startling, I turn to face a rumpled Nicholas rubbing his eye. He runs a hand down his face, smiles, and gestures. "C'mere, baby."

My eyes prick with tears at his tender smile, and I crawl from the bench at the foot of the bed and slip the Sharpie underneath my pillow. Inhaling deeply, he slides fingers in my hair as I settle in.

Minutes tick by as I breathe him in, my head on his chest. The hum of the heater in the room drones on, and we fidget, trying to find a comfortable position.

"I know this sucks."

I nod ever-so-slightly. "Yeah."

"I'm here. Stay with me."

"I'm right here, Nick."

"Don't...disappear on me."

The words I dotted on my skin phantom burn. "I'm trying," I whisper, meeting his gaze

Nicholas kisses the tip of my nose. "I can work with trying."

"Please don't give up." My voice breaks as I grip his arm.