Nineteen

Katherine didn't go to school the next day. She laid there in bed feeling an emptiness in her chest. She didn't scream, she didn't cry, she just lied there.

Why?

That's the question that repeatedly went through her mind. Why?

Bella didn't go to school either, after some time she did tell her sister what Edward told her. Katherine didn't feel angry just numb. She didn't react at all by what she was told.

Katherine knew it was a lie, what Edward told her, it almost angered Katherine, what he did to her. But Rosalie never said goodbye, and that tore through her.

Why?

She knew why, or had an idea.

Jasper.

The incident. The way to try to protect them by leaving but what if that did more harm than good?

Katherine sat there at her desk that afternoon with her school and homework one of her classmates so generously brought over for her. She tried to focus, getting some of it done but it was hard. Pushing it aside for the time being she went back to bed, Charlie periodically checking in on her or Bella. Charlie got more of a response from Katherine than he did with Bella.

Time seemed to drag on but it was only an hour.

Katherine got up, migrating to Bella's room. She laid there in bed her back facing her.

"Bella?" No response. Katherine backed off figuring she was sleeping. Bella's eyes were open, bags under her eyes from lack of sleep. She just laid there unmoving for hours only getting up to go to the bathroom.

She felt empty, a hole in her chest where someone used to be but now he's gone. They're gone. She didn't know what to do, if she could do anything. It was hard for her. Bella could only imagine what Katherine felt. Rosalie never said goodbye. Her thoughts quickly went back to Edward.

Katherine sat by her window watching the night go on, it was almost peaceful out but inside it wasn't. Her heart began to race a sob raking up her throat. She ran to her bed as she finally released the tears she held in all day. Sobs shook through her whole body. It was uncontrollable. Charlie ran in, worried for his daughter.

He tried to console her which led to her clinging onto him. He pushed his awkwardness aside, wrapping his arms around her tightly.

October

She sat on La Push beach, in the last month she befriended a few of Forks locals. She sat with them on a semi-damp log. She brought a Marlboro cigarette to her lips. Getting passed a lighter she lit the cancer stick. Handing it back she puffed the cigarette. She coughed. She was still getting use to it.

She knew it was bad for you but it helped ease the stress.

"Katherine." She looked over to Tommy who she shared lunch with the year before. He held up a blunt. She shook her head.

"I'm good thanks."

"Suit yourself." His eyes were glazed over, his eyelids were heavy making him look like he was going to fall asleep. He took a drag handing it over to Elizabeth his girlfriend. She sat there her eyes closed, her body rocked back and forth. "Babe." He nudged her she snapped her eyes open, eyes redder then ever.

Taking another drag, she exhaled the smoke floating into the air. She sighed. Bags hung under her eyes. She was tired, staying up late and being woken up constantly did that to her.

Bella was having nightmares each night, most nights she didn't bother helping her, Charlie did that. She was worried about her but she didn't want help. She barely ate or talked. But she couldn't blame her. She never not thought about Rosalie.

It was hard, it's been a month but the wound was still fresh.

Her eyes burned when smoke reached her eyes, she lowered her hand blinking back the tears in her eyes.

She took a long drag of her cigarette sighing in relief. It did the trick.

She stood up from the log, putting out her cigarette.

"I'm gonna take a walk." She didn't wait for a response. Shoving her hands into her hoodie pocket she started to walk away.

She laid besides Rosalie their bodies intertwined with each other.

"I love you." Her golden eyes gazed lovingly into Katherine's own eyes. A smile curled up on her lips.

"I love you too."

She blinked back the tears but they fell down her face. Up ahead she saw one of the locals, a girl maybe a bit older than she was. She stood by the water looking out at the water. There was a considerable distance between them, she walked closer to the water. The sound of waves crashing with the shore was calming. Her hand fiddled with the run around her finger, pulling her hands out she looked down at the ring Rosalie had given to her on her birthday.

Now she had another reason to hate it.

Twisting the ring off she contemplated throwing it into the ocean, she felt a sinking feeling in her chest. Quickly she put the ring on but the sinking feeling lingered.

Suddenly she felt too exposed, she wanted to curl up into herself. Tears sprung in her eyes this time she let them fall.

She cried.

Luckily there was no one close enough to hear she just stood there and cried letting the tears fall not bothering to wipe them away. The breeze picked up, the coolness of it dried her tears. It hurt. It hurt so badly.

-

Katherine laid there unmoving. 3:00am Bella was screaming in the next room, she didn't move. But she didn't wake up from Bella but from her own nightmare that only she knew about. Silent. Always silent.

James plagued her mind, even when Rosalie was there she still had nightmares and so did Bella. After they left it was the nightmares that reminded them that they existed that they were there.

Bella and Katherine were both plagued by their demons in response to the Cullen's leaving. Katherine hid it a bit better minus the bad habits she's picked up along the way. Smoking cigarettes, hanging around with the towns 'druggies' even though they only smoked marijuana. But she never got in trouble, she steered clear of that. She refused to give Rosalie the satisfaction of ruining her life.

She kept up with school the best of her ability even when it was hard, the constant strain and pull to her bed was the only safe haven she had along with smoking.

She still had a life to live. Katherine just wished Bella saw it the same way.

~

Vote/Comment

robbstark_