Chapter 6 ~ Three's a Party.

"Do you even eat?!" Oliver exclaims as he stares into my pitiful fridge and I slump further in my stool at the bench.

All that can be seen taking up the chilly space is a bottle of orange juice and an unopened bag of red grapes.

I choose not to comment as he slams the fridge shut and walks into my bedroom, I watch him through the open door assessing my sleeping arrangements.

"Do you mind?" I finally call out, utterly exhausted and disappointed by my overall day.

I sadly pull out my keys from my pocket and drop them on the bench, their once friendly chime now mocking me.

As I do a slip of paper falls out of my pocket and I'm quick to scoop it up before it hits the ground.
Recognising it as the paper left on my broken windshield I swallow firmly before opening the crinkled paper and the same writing from the first letter fills my vision.

"I just want the chance to hold you in my arms again, all I want is your forgiveness."

Scrunching my eyebrows I re-read the message various times. The first letter I assumed was a mistaken identity but now I know these letters are for me.

"Who wrote that?" Oliver suddenly questions from behind me, his voice low and I nearly fall out of my stool from the proximity.

Spinning around to face him I crinkle up the paper again and keep it behind my back.

"How about you stop snooping through my shit and actually give me some answers." I snap, hating how I lost focus of Oliver for even a second.

My body is too comfortable having him around, I should know better than to trust him.
All he does is let me down.

"Calm down! I'm just doing my job. Is that evidence?" I hold the paper even tighter in my hand, until my knuckles turn white.

"Don't ever tell me to calm down. I'll explain this silly note after you explain yourself, what is going on?!" I demand to know and I force myself onto my feet, it brings our bodies far too close. Our chests are centimetres away from touching but I don't budge, desperate to assert myself.

"The bodies are now within the state and I've been granted the right to be your personal protection" Oliver finally reveals on an exhale, his put off news now released and my eyes widen at his reveal.

"How close?" I whisper as my eyes drop to the floor, my emotions swelling up.

"Not even half an hour away.." I nod my head robotically.

The obvious fact is that I'm terrified, my body is rigid and I can nearly hear his accent whispering in my ear.

However another deeper part of me is relieved, finally the waiting is finished.
Finally this can end and I actually have a shot at finding my cousin.

"I don't need you here." I reply evenly bringing my bright eyes back up to Oliver's and I'm surprised to see hurt flash through them at my coldness before turning steely again.

"Judging by your fridge you do need me here, you're barely surviving." Oliver shoots back coldly and I straighten my spine stubbornly.

"If I need a life coach then I'll google it." I retort before taking a breath and revealing my true aversion to him sticking around.

"He expects me to be defenceless Oliver. If I remain alone then maybe I can lure him in..." I attempt to explain, laying all my cards on the table and hoping my sincerity and selflessness work in my favour.

"Firstly, you have never been defenceless, Rosik won't believe your damsel-act for a second. He's smart. Secondly, I'm counting on Rosik to come here regardless of whether you have protection or not, he wants you and his fixation works in our favour and blinds him. Lastly, he isn't going to wander in here with your cousin Katherine. It's not going to be that easy." I'm very conscious of Oliver and I sharing air as all mine leaves my lungs in a puff.