Chapter 27 ~ Pain and Pancakes.

As I was finishing up getting ready Rosik quickly got dressed and announced that he was heading upstairs to speak with Eddie and make sure everything was going according to plan.

I stayed quiet, my nightmare still fresh in my mind and he left, unbothered by my silence and still riding his high from our kiss earlier.

I swing my second cup of mouthwash and really allow it to sting the insides of my sensitive mouth before spitting and deciding that I'm finally clean enough.

I poke my head out of the bathroom to find that Rosik is indeed gone and hurry towards the wardrobe with my towel firmly against my body.

In record timing I grab underwear, a light blue sweater and a pair of dark leggings.

Deciding that I want to actually stay on this floor for once I only slip thick socks over my feet, not bothering with shoes.

Heading over to the bed, I reach under the pillow and find the notepad that I was reading last night.

My frown deepens as the horrors on the pages sink into my memories once more and I tuck the flimsy book in the side of my left sock, finding that I hardly feel it there when I walk.

Resting on the bed for only a moment I spring back onto my feet, not wanting the cloud of sadness to catch me and I make the bed hoping to keep Rosik in a good mood before finally having the courage to leave the room.

The floor is quiet, Dana's bedroom door is still shut and I assume that she's still sleeping.

I decide to let her sleep for a little longer and instead make my way down to the lounge room.

Mimicking my dream I poke my head around the corner and there on the couch is Oliver.
Except he isn't asleep like in my dream but rather he's holding one of the books with his unbroken arm that Rosik was reading to me yesterday while scrunching his eyebrows.

"Morning." I hesitantly say and Oliver jumps, dropping the book in the process, his cheeks growing red.
I didn't even know that Oliver could blush.

"Morning! Uh... Katie right?"
Oliver struggles to stand up, his legs stiff, I'm sure under the pants they are multicoloured and his blush disappears as quickly as it appears as he becomes pale from the effort.

I quickly rush into the room and motion for him to sit back down which he eagerly does and I settle in a chair across from him.

"How are you feeling Oliver?" I say softly and my eyes search his pretty ones deeply, secretly hoping to find a spark of knowledge or some sign that this is just another plan.

This is our first time alone together, if he's going to reveal anything then now is the time.

But there is no glimmer of knowledge.

I'm tempted to tell him everything right now, blurt out all our history and the danger of his surroundings but my earlier plea for their freedom stops me.

As terrible as it sounds, right now the only thing keeping Oliver alive is his confusion.

"I'm feeling a little sore... But that's to be expected from a clutz like me!" Oliver attempts to joke and to ease him I let a breathy laugh out and match his chuckle.

"I can ask Rosik when he gets back for some medicine if you'd like?" I softly say and Oliver nods in appreciation.

"Any chance of a doctor coming down as well? This memory thing has got me a little spooked." Oliver confesses and his eyes glaze over as it drops back down to the book on the ground as he scoops it up.