Prologue

Date published - 09-18-19

*****************************************

Videos for this chapter:

Ledisi - 'Raise Up'
Alicia Keys - 'You Don't Know My Name'

Saturday, June 1st, 2019

Kina's POV

Today is the big day - I will officially be announced as a bodyguard. People always ask me, why did I want to become a bodyguard. The answer is simple - I love protecting my family. So, I wanted to do the same for others - protect their loved ones. The agency even paid for me to attend NYU to become a certified Fitness Instructor, which is what I want to do after being a bodyguard.

The agency I am graduating from is the best there is the business. The Chaotic Sanctuary has been my home since coming to the U.S. from Jamaica.

My parents are meeting me at the agency headquarters, which is located on Staten Island.

It looks like a house, but this is no ordinary house. It has secret rooms and entrances that I have never seen. But Pops says my time is coming. Pops is my teacher. He was the best bodyguard in the business until he retired. I learned so much from him.

My parents were the only ones I could invite. I stayed with my family for a few days before graduation. So, my family is throwing a party for me - Jamaican style. That's where we are from - born and raised in Kingston.

How I was chosen to become a bodyguard is interesting. My parents and I searched for a place for me to live in Manhattan. The day I was moving into my apartment, we saw someone getting robbed. I couldn't stand and watch, so my protectiveness kicked in. After finishing kicking the guy's butt, Pops saw what happened. He approached me about using my skills to become a bodyguard. He was very convincing too.

Because of Pops, I am graduating today as the best student in my class.

After making it to the agency, I parked my truck and met up with my parents.

"Sorry, mom and dad. I ran into some traffic."

"That's okay, Kina. Let's head inside." We then made our way inside. Once inside, I saw Pops. We made our way over to where he was standing.

"Hi, Pops, this is my mom and dad - Simeon and Tauni Padmore."

"It's nice to meet you both. Kina is my best student. She aced every challenge that I put before her. And, she is the first female to graduate from the agency."

Pops just made me blush.

"We are very proud of Kina. We worry about her safety though, but we also know she will handle herself," My mom said to Pops.