3. Him

POV: Virgil

Two weeks went by much faster than I could have expected. Logan seemed to be always there when I needed him and for some reason time passed much faster when we were together. It was like the world was finally becoming brighter for me.

Unfortunately, that blissful time didn't last long.

"I just need to go buy something." Logan paused on our way home from the university one day. "I will be back in a few minutes." I nodded and watched him disappear into a bookshop. Typical.

I leaned against the wall as I waited impatiently for him to return. It was starting to get dark and I knew that wasn't good for my anxiety.

"Well look who it is!"

The voice alone made me freeze and start to hyperventilate. No, no, no! This couldn't be happening. It couldn't be him. Not him.

My eyes darted up and there he stood, hands on hips and a smug look on his face. He hadn't changed at all.

"Aren't you going to say hello?" He teased and walked closer to me. I instinctively shrank away, wishing the wall behind me would swallow me whole. In that moment, I wanted to die.

"What do you want?" I choked out, my voice smaller than I would have liked. I hated the effect he had on me.

The boy smirked as he leaned towards me. "You know exactly what I want." He hissed in my ear and I felt goosebumps on my skin. Too close. He was much too close.

I didn't reply and instead avoided eye contact at all costs. I wished I could move away but I was imprisoned between his looming form and the wall. I had nowhere to go.

"Oh come on, Virgil." The way he said my name triggered a wave of nausea and I struggled to stand still. "You must miss me at least a little bit."

I shook my head. "No. I don't."

"Of course you do!" He roughly grabbed my face and forced me to look at him. His gaze pierced into me like a knife, making me wince. "Have you forgotten who saved you from that shithole?"

I kept quiet. Don't encourage him, I told myself.

"Hey!" The sound of Logan's voice was like music to my ears. "Excuse me, but I'm going to have to ask you to back away. That is physical assault."

The grip on my face loosened and he backed away from me. I simply stood there, shaking and watching the two of them interact.

"I see your boyfriend is still hanging around. I'm sure that will last long." His words were dripping with disgust and sarcasm.

"Falsehood." Logan glared. "Virgil and I are not in any sort of romantic relationship. And might I remind you that neither are you, for that matter. Therefore, you have no business here." He moved to stand beside me protectively and his voice lowered. "Leave him alone, Dee."

Dee glared at Logan and sent me a look that made me shrink even more, if that was at all possible. Without another word, he walked off.

"Virgil, are you alright?" Logan inquired, moving around to face me. I quickly wiped the tears that had involuntarily started to fall down my face.

"I don't know..." I admitted and looked up at him. "He found me, Logan! He'll find out where we live and then come to me while you're out and I won't be able to stop him—"

"I won't let that happen." Logan insisted, gripping my shoulder tightly. "I got you away from him before, I can do it again."

I nodded, but I wasn't entirely convinced. Dee was smart. He would find me again. And next time I won't have Logan to come to my rescue.

"Let's get you home." He saw me shaking slightly and put an arm around me, starting to lead me down the street. "I'll make us some tea and then we can watch a movie. How does that sound?"

"Good." I muttered, still keeping my head down as if Dee would be standing right there if I looked up.

I wondered if I'd ever be free of him.

***

The second we arrived at our apartment, I collapsed onto the couch and curled up into a ball, hugging my knees. I subconsciously dug my nails into my skin and winced at the sudden pain. I needed to stop doing that.

"Here." Logan handed me some tea and sat beside me on the couch. "Feeling any better?"

I hummed, not really sure how I was feeling in that moment. I felt like a mess.

"I don't want to go back to him." I said quietly, more to myself than anyone else.

"Of course you don't." Logan frowned. "No one would want to."

I paused as I chewed over my words. "Thank you, Logan."

"Oh it's no problem." He waved his hand dismissively. "He isn't that intimidating to me."

"I meant for what you did last year." I looked down at my hands. "For helping me... get away."

"Of course I did. It's my duty as your friend." He smiled and I returned it gratefully.

Logan wrapped his arm around me again and turned on the television. I watched silently as he flicked through the channels to find a decent movie.

Once the movie was picked, we watched it in silence, neither of us wanting to speak more about what had happened that day.

At one point, a small wave of anxiety hit me and I tensed, holding back the tears that pricked my eyes. Once again, Logan knew exactly what was wrong and he started to rub my back reassuringly until I started to relax again. It was incredible how fast he had learnt to read my body language and react immediately.

"It'll be alright." He said as I finally let go of my knees and sat properly on the couch.

"I hope so." I muttered and took a sip of my tea.

"I know so, Virgil."