10. Rest

POV: Logan

I wasn't particularly fond of the fact that I was sick again, however there was nothing I could do. Every year like clockwork I would get sick as soon as September arrived, no exceptions.

I payed it no mind and continued to work and study as I normally would, despite the fact I felt more drained than usual and had regular coughing fits. I couldn't afford to waste precious study time on going to bed early.

Three days like this and Virgil eventually noticed. It wasn't exactly hard to tell that I wasn't in the best shape since I almost walked into a door on multiple occasions and the bin was overflowing with tissues. He finally walked into my room one morning, a determined expression on his face.

"You need rest." He insisted, closing the door behind him and folding his arms.

"I can assure you, I am perfectly fine." I responded, not looking up from my laptop. As if on cue, a cough forced its way through me and I silently cursed at the timing.

"Logan, look at me." Virgil's voice was laced with concern and I sighed, turning around to face him.

"See? I am fully capable of working today." I said, adjusting my glasses.

"Logan, I never thought I'd say this, but you look like shit." Virgil furrowed his brows. "Have you looked at yourself in a mirror today?" I stayed silent and Virgil knew the answer was a "no". He walked over to me and pulled me up from my chair.

"For once, listen to my advice and take a frickin' break." He looked up at me.

I paused as I stretched my legs, wincing at how stiff they were. Virgil noticed and raised an eyebrow.

"Fine." I looked back at him with a smile. "I'll take the rest of the day off."

Virgil heaved a sigh of relief. "Thank you." He pushed me backwards and forced me to sit on the bed. "Take a break and I'll go make you some tea."

"I don't—"

"Logan."

"Sorry. Yes, I'd love some tea, Virgil." I nodded and leaned back against the headboard, picking up a book. Unlike the rest of my bookshelf, it wasn't a textbook but a simple novel: a Greek epic, to be exact.

Virgil smiled and left the room quickly. I relaxed on the bed, sighing at how much more comfortable it was than the desk chair. I opened the book and started reading where I had left off a few days ago.

Virgil spent the rest of the day fussing around me, making sure I was warm enough and had enough food and tissues. He even put on a documentary about black holes that we spent most of the day watching together in my room. At one point I reached for the phone to order some food but he stopped me.

"I'll make something." He told me and I raised an eyebrow. He wasn't normally confident about his cooking skills.

"Are you sure? We can just order a pizza."

"I want to practice cooking." Virgil told me shyly and I replaced my phone on the nightstand.

"I think that's a great idea, Virgil. I'm sure it'll taste amazing."

Virgil blushed and looked away with a small smile. "I'll uh... I'll go make a start then."

"Okay. Would you like me to assist?"

"No!" He shook his head and stood up. "You need to stay and rest like I told you to."

I chuckled at his determination and nodded. "Alright, fine. Try not to set the kitchen on fire." I said, only half being serious. Virgil rolled his eyes at me and left the room without another word.

Approximately an hour later, he came back with a tray which held two bowls of vegetable soup. He struggled to get through the door with it and I moved to help him, but a glare had me shifting back onto the bed again. He set the tray onto the bed between us and handed me a spoon.

"I hope you like it." He said quietly and I sent him a reassuring smile as I took my first mouthful. I could feel his expectant gaze watching me intently as I ate.

"The flavour is definitely much stronger than I would usually make," I started and he tensed, "but that is certainly not a bad thing. It's a case of personal preference."

"So... it's good?"

"It's better than good." I looked at him and smiled. "It is ideal."

Virgil blushed slightly and smiled back. "Thanks."

"You're welcome, Virgil." I replied and continued to eat in silence. We finished the food and he instantly stood up to clear up the bowls. He took the tray away and swiftly came back.

"You should change into something more comfortable." He commented and I looked down at myself. I was still wearing my shirt, tie and jeans that I usually wore on a day to day basis. I debated whether it was worth the effort but eventually came to the conclusion that since I'm supposed to be relaxing, I might as well let myself wear something more appropriate.

I stood up from the bed and instantly winced at the sudden headache. Technically it wasn't sudden, as I've felt a dull throb all day, however it got much worse in that moment. Virgil was instantly by my side.

"Maybe stay sitting." He suggested and gently pushed me back down into sitting position on the edge of the bed. "I'll bring you clothes. Do you want painkillers? I'll get painkillers." He didn't wait for an answer and left the room. He came back with two tablets and a glass of water.

"Thank you." I took it from him gratefully.

"You can have paracetamol, right?" Virgil asked. "I should have probably asked that first, sorry."

"It's alright." I reassured him. "And yes I can have paracetamol, thank you for checking." I took the painkillers and set the empty glass on the nightstand. Virgil quickly rummaged through my wardrobe and handed me slacks and a t-shirt.

"I'll go find another movie to watch." He quickly said and left the room again. By the time he came back, I was already changed and lounging on the bed again. He had a DVD in one hand and a bowl of popcorn in the other. He put on the movie and lay down beside me on the bed, setting the bowl on his lap.

We watched mostly in silence since I was too drained of energy to think of conversations. I knew that Virgil didn't mind as he wasn't a very talkative person himself. It was a comfortable silence.

Nine in the afternoon came round and Virgil forced me to go to bed early, despite my numerous protests. I eventually gave in and did as he said since I could see his determination to help me get better. It's a good thing that I listened to him, as I was out like a light the second my head touched the pillow.