WELCOME TO NIGERIA

"Nigeria, the giant of Africa"

I've been thinking of a dope story to write and then it hit me, most people don't know much about my country Nigeria, so I decided to write a story based on it.

Some of you probably still think that we live in huts and wear animal skin and drink goats milk for breakfast. Okay, I don't know if anyone thinks that last part, but I've been watching you guys, I mean your shows... I've been watching your shows.

Whenever you're depicting Nigeria you make it seem like we don't know how to speak English or we have some weird culture that you guys don't understand. Well, it is true we do have different cultures from you (obviously) but it's not weird (most of the time).

First of all, I'll start by giving some simple facts about Nigeria

1. English is our official language, the reason being that we were colonized by England.

2. We have over 500 languages spoken in Nigeria but only 3 major ones. The major languages are Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo (the g is silent well not really it's actually pronounced together with the b, but the easier way of pronouncing it is with the silent g) your girl happens to be of Igbo descent.

3. The capital of Nigeria is FCT Abuja, it's really developed (well at least in the city part of it).

4. Nigeria is divided into the north, west, east, and south. The northerners are mostly the Hausas, the westerners are the Yorubas, the easterners are the Igbos (eyyy!!), and the southerners are like a mix of different cultures.

5. Lagos is pronounced lay-gus not lah-gos or lay-gos, it's a state in the western part of Nigeria, some of y'all may be familiar with it. It's like our very own New York City, the city that never sleeps with lots of really tall buildings except that its an island.

6. Lastly, pidgin English is widely spoken in Nigeria, it's kind of like a slang version of the English language.

I'll be using pidgin in some parts of the story but don't worry I'll translate for those who don't understand.

Since this is a book based in Nigeria there are going to be some things that will seem different like how the characters talk and the names that they bear so I'll try to explain as much as I can.

Also, there's going to be mention of the Nigerian civil war much later in the book.

*The Nigerian civil war was a war that happened from 1967 to 1970 between the Nigerian army and the Biafran army.

I've decided to make mention of it in my book because I feel like they don't teach the current Nigerian younger generation enough about it. I believe we as the younger generation have a lot to learn from it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll be glad to answer them.

Important
Please try to keep your comments polite. I usually don't have time to answer people that comment rude things here. I'll either just delete your comment or block you.

Please do not copy my work! It took a lot of effort for me to come up with most of the ideas in this book. It's much better to be original and not just a copy of someone's book.

Also if you can, please check out the YouTube video I shared at the beginning of this chapter.

You can also follow my Instagram account @zharahcollins.

Thanks for reading!

Bye for now.