CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Sugar rush

That same day during prayer time Amina had to go to the mosque so Kolade ended up walking with me to the chapel. He kept talking about all the plans he had for him and Amina.

It made me feel sorry that I had to tell Kolade that Amina didn’t like me. It was going to crush him and I didn’t want that, I had to figure out the right way to tell him.

But what if he takes it the wrong way and ends up thinking that I want to break them up. I couldn’t imagine Kolade being angry with me, we annoyed each other sometimes and yes, we argued over irrelevant things but we had never actually had a fight with each other.

“What about Kamina?” he asked breaking me out of my thoughts.

“Kamina? What’s a Kamina?”

“It’s our ship name! Kolade and Amina makes Kamina, were you even listening to me?” he pouted.

“Sorry, I was thinking of something else.”

He tried to hide his disappointment but I could see it, whatever he must have been going on about was probably important to him.

“Why am I getting the feeling that you’re not happy that I’m dating Amina.” He said in suspicion.

“You are?” I almost felt relieved, if he had noticed it then maybe I wouldn’t have to convince him at all.

“Of course, now that I’m dating Amina you feel like I won’t be hanging out with you right?”

And just like that my relief disappeared and I resisted the urge to facepalm myself an infinite number of times.

“Don’t worry Zaram, I’ll still hang out with you but you have to understand that Amina is top priority now.”

“You can’t be serious.” I deadpanned and he slung his arms around my shoulders.

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

Why did I even believe that this was going to be easy?

*********

After prayers, it was time for extra lessons. Classes during this time were not as long as the normal classes during the day. We were supposed to have two subjects before closing time and we were currently having physics. Our physics teacher was explaining something about nucleon number but my mind wasn’t even in the lesson.

Eyeing Chidindu’s empty seat for the hundredth time that day, I couldn’t shake that nagging thought that had been on my mind since I saw that he wasn’t in the car this morning. Why did he miss school today? I should have just asked Vicky this morning, I don’t know why I let her unpleasant expression phase me, maybe I really was spineless sometimes.

Kolade was jotting down some points in his notebook and I smiled to myself. Even though he hated chemistry, he loved physics and he was really good at it. I, on the other hand, was a jack of all trades master of none. I wasn’t as intelligent as Nenye or as clever as CJ, I was just somewhere in between.

I had never failed a subject in my life with the exception of when I got a D in introduction to Technology (Introtech) in JSS2 (8th grade).

Right now, I had to focus on what our teacher was saying because I was sure that it was going to come out in the test next week. I couldn’t let all this Nenye and Amina business distract me but I really couldn’t understand why it seemed like whatever actions done by Vicky and Nenye always somehow affected me. Now Amina hates me because she thinks Nenye and I are the same.

After the class, our teacher wanted to give us an assignment based on the just concluded class but we all objected saying that we wanted to use this week to focus on reading and not doing extra homework. Surprisingly the teacher agreed and let us go home without any homework.