CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: Mr Lawal's car

I opened my eyes to the sound of Chidindu's voice. He had been calling my name softly.

When I was finally awake, he ruffled his hair like he didn't know what to do next.

I cocked my head at him before I remembered that I had just fallen asleep on him. My cheeks flushed immediately.

"I fell asleep on you," I said stating the obvious.

He just smiled then shook his head.

"It's alright, my mum used to say I was a very cuddly child."

I paused at first before I finally got it.

"Is that a euphemism for you used to be chubby?"

"Yeah." He laughed.

I thought about the picture I'd seen in his room. He looked like a regular chubby toddler. I guess he must have stayed that way well into his childhood.

We got out of the car and walked together to the assembly hall. We eventually had to separate when we entered the hall.

I walked to the place where SS1 girls were seated and found somewhere to sit. From here I could see the SS1 boys, I scanned the crowd to see if I could find Kolade. He wasn't there.

He probably wasn't in school yet.

The assembly started with a Christian and Muslim student saying a prayer for us. After that, we sang the national anthem and then recited the national pledge.

One of the members of the student parliament walked to the stage to say an announcement then left the stage.

We waited for another student or teacher to come to the stage to either say something or release us to go to our classes but no one did.

After about 5 minutes of nothing happening, I began to suspect that something was wrong.

Usually in our assemblies after singing the national anthem, a teacher or a member of the student parliament would come on stage to either make an announcement or say something about doing the right thing or respecting your elders then we'd be on our way.

Today there were more teachers present than usual. Somewhere close to the stage, one of our vice principals was having a conversation with our school's head of secondary section.

Our school counsellor stood not too far away from them, his hands were folded but his expression was calm like he was quietly observing the students around. Mr Joseph stood beside him with his signature cane in his hand and a stern look on his face.

Everyone was eager to know what they were keeping us here for. Especially when we still had tests to write this morning.

Mrs Khadija walked to the mini stage with a grim look on her face.

"Did someone die?" A girl seating beside me asked her friend. The friend shrugged at her.

"Good morning students." Mrs Khadija said into the microphone.

Once she started speaking everyone stopped talking to listen to her.

"I'm sure you're all wondering why you're still being kept in the hall." She continued.

I turned to look at the teacher standing beside her. An annoyed look plastered on his face like as if this morning he had an argument with his wife before coming to school.

I recognized him as the same one that punished Kolade and Amina on Monday.

"It has come to our notice that someone or some persons seated amongst you..." She pointed at us then continued.