CHAPTER FORTY-ONE: 100 percent human

This morning only confirmed to me that for some reason Nenye had started trying her best to be extra nice to me. She must've figured that asking me about what had happened yesterday in front of Vicky and Chidindu would be unnecessary that's why she dropped it. I was grateful for that but I was surprised that she even asked at all.

When it was time for our math quiz, Mr Joseph walked into the class with his cane. He dropped it on the large teachers' table in front of the class and asked all of us to stand up and move to the front of the class.

He then proceeded to ask us questions. Anybody that failed his question received a stroke of the cane. To be honest I was beginning to question the whole use of canes on students in school. Or at least his liberal use of it.

It seemed like the man used his cane to solve all the problems in his life. I managed to pass mine but Kolade wasn't so lucky.

He received two strokes of the cane and on his hands. At the end of the class, the people that were unlucky enough to fail his questions more than once ended up going to the school's nurse.

I wasn't really sure what they hoped the school nurse could do for them. Maybe she'd give them a painkiller and ask them not to fail their maths quiz again.

Since we had already done our biology quiz this morning our class was free from any more quizzes for today. In fact, we were currently having a free period because our Economics teacher, Mr Sobowole, wasn't in school.

He was an old man and hardly came to class. All he did was drop notes and organize weekly quizzes to make sure that we were reading them.

He believed that Nigerian schools of nowadays spoon-fed too much information to their students. He wanted us to normalize making research about the things that confused us.

Information gotten that way usually stuck, he would say.

Anyway so right now, my classmates were busy brainstorming how to punish Mr Joseph for flogging half of the class.

Someone shut the door so that no one could enter or leave.

Zakariya then stood up from his seat in the front and went to sit down on the teachers' table in the front of the class.

"What do you guys think we should do to that man?" He started.

"Let's make him lose his job," Maimuna said simply.

"Ahhh! Maimuna calm down, it has not gotten to that!" Dumebi exclaimed.

The girl just shrugged and said, "We were all thinking it."

"No, I think we should stop him from using that cane...I don't know how though, it seems like that man has an emotional connection to that thing." One girl said.

"Why don't we just hide the cane?" Another person asked.

"He can easily just get another one."

Another person gave another idea,
"My brother told me that in his school some JSS3 students urinated inside a physics teacher's table-"

Maimuna immediately cut the person off.

"I'm sorry we're not animals in this school."

The person shrugged it off.

"I have an idea." Zakariya suddenly said.

He wasn't smiling but his eyes looked excited.

"Aren't you going to share it with us?" Maimuna asked.

"Don't worry, I'll only tell those I want to be involved in the plan...as for the rest of you, I'm sure you'll hear about it later today." He said and stood up from the table. Just like that, the meeting was over.