CHAPTER TEN: I'm sorry

This is just a friendly reminder that everything displayed in this chapter and in this book in general is either a product of the author's imagination and (or) is used fictitiously.

Sincerely Zharah Collins

It was now Friday and I had woken up feeling gloomy after what happened on Monday I had stopped talking to Chidindu for a while. It was like our little disagreement had managed to ruin my mood for the rest of the week.

Yesterday Kolade complained that I was acting like a zombie, and I stabbed him with a pencil for calling me that. I smiled when I remembered his funny reaction to the pencil.

I looked out from my window, it was still dark. I then checked the time on my phone

5:30 am

I was up earlier than usual. I got ready and went downstairs to have breakfast. Mom was already in the kitchen making french toast.

"Mommy good morning," she almost jumped at the sound of my voice. I must have startled her.

"Why are you up so early?" She asked.

"I couldn't sleep well last night," I said and sat down on the kitchen counter. I continued watching her quietly for a while until she looked up at me and smiled.

"Nwa m (my child), why are you watching me like that."

"I'm just observing you Mom."

I jumped down from the counter to get some plates for her to serve the French toast.

"Observing me?"

"Yes mom, you're an awesome role model, you're a woman who manages to balance her work and family life perfectly well."

She broke into a smile and I felt happy inside. I really did mean everything that I had just said, my mother was a strong woman and a perfect role model. I wished I could be like her, nobody would ever call someone like my mother spineless.

"Thank you, my dear," she said and kissed me on my forehead and just like that my mood was lifted. At least for a little bit.

After mom had left for work, Nenye and CJ came downstairs and we had breakfast together. I decided to pack my remaining french toast for lunch later today. This was something that I had started doing. Every morning I'd pack some food from home to eat later during break time.

After the whole hair and flies being in someone's food incident, there was no way that I was still going to continue eating the poison that they served at school.

You'd think that with the amount of school fees they charged, they'd at least serve us something that was safe to eat.

Vicky's driver honked outside and we left for school. I was a little relieved to see that Chidindu wasn't in the car today. I wasn't ready to face him today. The rides in this car had gotten really awkward. Yesterday he said Hi to me but I ignored him. He just sighed and went back to reading his book. I almost felt sorry for ignoring him like that. Almost.

I got to my class to see Amina at Kolade's table again. They had been doing this almost every morning, immediately I arrived they would just stop talking and Amina would go back to her seat. This time they were both laughing and Kolade looked like he was enjoying their conversation. I started to walk slowly to my seat so that I could prolong their time together, but when I got to my seat they didn't even notice me at all.

I sat down quietly and continued to observe the rest of the class. A group of boys in the front were busy fooling around. Some girls had formed a group and were either discussing something or gossiping.