CHAPTER FORTY-THREE: Ice cream

Continuation

"So what? Just because he's our father he's not allowed to have exes?" I asked.

"You don't understand, both of them are still close, don't you think that's weird?"

I didn't say anything. Okay, maybe that was weird. I didn't think Dad was the kind of person to have female friends...or friends in general.

"What if they're close for a reason?" I countered.

"Yeah, and that reason is he's cheating on Mom."

"Whoa!" I shouted and grabbed her by the wrist so I could drag her to a more secluded place.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I whispered to her.

"Why are you whispering?" She asked.

"Why won't I be whispering?!" I exclaimed.

"Calm down... men do it all the time, our generation even endorses it."

"I don't believe that," I said stubbornly.

"I'm not surprised, you're too naive to believe that our family is not as perfect as you think it is."

"Excuse me for believing in our father's values."

"Zaram sometimes people ignore values and do whatever they want, just like Vicky's Dad."

I let out a deep sigh. So that's where she was getting this stupid idea of cheating from. Vicky's Dad leaving his family.

"Don't compare our father to that man Nenye."

"Just because he is our father doesn't mean he can't be a man with flaws."

"Yes but not those particular flaws."

She shook her head at me like I was the one making baseless assumptions about our father. Why the hell would she even let such a thought cross her mind?

I was done having this conversation. I didn't even want to think about it anymore. I turned away to leave and went back to the hall. Dad seemed to be finishing up with Mrs Hassan. He was already standing with my test note in his hand.

"Zaram!" I heard Nenye call from behind me.

I turned around to tell her to stop shouting my name. She was going to draw attention to us. She walked over to me. Before she could say anything and I spoke,

"Dad's waiting for you to take him to your form teacher."

She took a look at where Dad was standing.

"I know...but-"

"Nenye just go, let's get this thing over with, I want to go home."

She scrunched her brows at me but didn't say anything.

*********

The ride back home was quiet. Dad busied himself with humming the tunes to a popular Igbo hymn as he drove. Nenye was sitting in the passenger seat beside him with her head resting on the window beside her. I wasn't sure if she was sleeping or awake.

I tried my best to not think about what Nenye had said. It was hard to believe. I wonder if CJ also thought the same way about our father.

What if both of them have been talking about this behind my back? The concept of our father cheating on our mother.

"Do you girls want ice cream?" Dad suddenly asked.

"Yes, daddy." I heard Nenye's say from the front. I guess she was wide awake.