CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR: Criminal masterminds

I heard Mr Joseph tell Amina to go to her seat just as I stepped out of the class. I resisted the urge to look back at my classmates.

I didn't need anyone to tell me that my classmates were going to spread rumours about what just happened. I wonder why they decided to call me out. The last thing I need right now is people thinking that I damaged Mr Lawal's car.

The teacher led me to the top floor of the school. The same place where the glass room that Chidindu took me to was located. He stopped when we got to a staff room and knocked on the door. A voice came from the other side telling us to come in.

The teacher opened the door before letting me walk inside then closed the door behind me.

I looked at the people in the room. My eyes stopped on the woman in a scarf that sat down behind a giant table with a laptop on it. It was Mrs Hassan, the head of all the math teachers in the school. Mr Lawal was seated beside her with a scowl on his face.

His scowl seemed to be pointed at the boy with a full head of curls that was seated in front of them.

Chidindu.

My first instinct was to greet the teachers before they could say anything.

"Good afternoon Chizaram, have a seat." Mrs Hassan replied.

I walked to the seat beside Chidindu and sat down. I turned to look at him but he seemed to be locked in a staredown with Mr Lawal.

"I'm sure you already know why you are here." Mrs Hassan started, I looked back at her and shook my head.

Even though I had an idea I wasn't sure exactly. I thought it would be best to let them explain it to me.

"Stop lying." Mr Lawal suddenly said as he shifted his angry eyes to me.

I frowned and resisted the urge to talk back at him. That's the thing with teachers in this school. They had all the power to say whatever crap they wanted to say. We the students couldn't say anything to them without getting punished for being disrespectful.

I wasn't going to fall for that trap. Not today. I calmly shook my head and looked back at Mrs Hassan because she seemed like the most rational between the two. I could still feel Mr Lawal's glare on me.

"Look at this." Mrs Hassan said as she turned the screen of the laptop on the desk to face us. She tapped a key and a video started playing.

I looked closer at the blurry video. It showed a boy and a girl standing inside what looked like the school's lobby. They sat down at the waiting area and that's when Mrs Hassan paused the video.

"Do you recognize this."

I nodded at her before saying slowly.

"That's me and Chidindu."

"Good, and what day did that happen."

"Wednesday, the same day that..." I paused and looked back at Mr Lawal. He leaned back on his chair with his arms folded with a look that said he had finally gotten us.

"The day that what?" He asked as he waited for me to finish my sentence.

"I told you that we did not damage your car," Chidindu said from beside me.

I looked at him. His eyes were furious.

Mrs Hassan sighed.

"I would like to believe you...but like I said before, we noticed that the CCTV cameras leading to where Mr Lawal parked his car were also damaged. Meaning whoever damaged the car must have taken that route after damaging the cameras so that they couldn't be seen."