CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN: Quirky

"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee-"

"Zaram," Nenye whispered my name.

I ignored her and continued reading along with the church from the large projector facing the congregation.

"Zaram?"

"Zaram!" She called again.

I closed my eyes and resisted the urge to shout 'What!'. She was already drawing the attention of the people around us.

I turned to look at her. Vicky who happened to be sitting on Nenye's other side was busy chewing gum.

She obviously did not care about attracting the attention of one of the many strict looking ushers here.

"What?" I said to Nenye.

"Did you bring your phone charger?"

"Are you kidding me?"

"What? My phone is about to die, I need to charge it."

I shook my head in disbelief before opening my bag to bring out the charger.

She collected it stood up to walk away. She and Vicky were the only people that I know that wouldn't mind standing up in church in the middle of a sermon to walk away. Our seats were located in the middle of the church so naturally, all eyes were on her.

Vicky shifted her gaze from the front of the church to me. I watched her blow a small bubble before sucking it back into her mouth.

An usher that had been standing nearby gave both of us a look. I ignored the woman and focused back on the large projector.

Today's preaching had lasted a good 30 minutes before it was time for Thanksgiving and offering. I decided to walk to the canteen to stay there for a while after giving my own offering.

I bought a bottle of water and brought out my phone to see if I had received any texts. Kolade had sent me a picture of him in an Agbada and typed "How do I look?" under the picture

I smiled and typed.

"You look dapper my good sir."

"You could have just sent I look good, which one is Dapper now?" (What does Dapper mean?).

"It's a compliment!!"

"That's a weird word. You're so weird 😐"

I shook my head at him like he was here with me. When I looked up from my phone. I caught Chidindu watching me. It looked like he had just entered the canteen because he was just standing there.

I let my eyes run over what he was wearing. A buttoned-up plaid blue and white shirt with navy blue jeans. He looked good.

I waved at him and he waved back and smiled before sitting down on one of the tables. The place he had picked was close to a window.

I immediately went to join him.

"Yo."

"Yo to you too." He said in amusement.

I picked a chair directly facing him to sit down and placed my bottle of water on the table.

"Did you come to buy something?" I asked.

"Yeah, a bottle of water." He looked down at mine before looking back up at me as if to ask for permission.

"Help yourself," I said and looked at my phone screen again.