CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE: Manly man

After our classmates finished playing their card game, they started talking about playing truth or dare. It was then that Chidindu whispered to me.

"I think we should go, Dumebi is not looking."

"Don't you want to play truth or dare?" I asked playfully.

He shook his head.

"Why?" I asked even though the answer for me was obvious. I hated playing truth or dare because the results of the game always ended up in a big rumour.

"I'm not interested in spreading silly rumours on how I was asked to list the 5 boys in class that I find attractive."

Okay, I wasn't expecting that particular answer. We stood up and left the class.

"Why boys? Why not girls?" I asked.

"I'm pretty sure if I were to say that I found some boys attractive it would spread like wildfire here." He said.

He was right. Here anything that seemed even remotely gay was big news. I remember in JSS1, there was this boy that stood out because he was a little more girly than other boys.

People labelled him as that weird kid that liked to cook and couldn't play sports. Most people even called him a girl. It was the most stereotypical thing I had ever encountered.

There's nothing emasculating about knowing how to cook. I don't know where they got that stupid belief from.

And who says not knowing how to play sports makes you a girl?

Luckily for the boy, I heard he moved to Lagos with his family. Who knows, maybe his new classmates knew better than to treat people like outsiders for just being themselves...

Who was I kidding, he wasn't moving to Narnia. I just hoped he learned to ignore what they were saying about him and love who he was.

"I think the accepted straight answer to that dare is...uh I can't pick because they're all my guys and guys don't crush on each other." I tried to use the deepest voice I could muster.

"Why did you use that voice." He asked in amusement.

"What voice?"

"The deep Jock voice, you sounded like a gym rat."

We took a turn and settled on one of the staircases there. It wasn't like the staircase that I and Kolade liked using.

This particular one had sun rays bouncing off the shiny tiles from the window located at the top of the staircase.

Chidindu sat down while I just dropped my bag beside him.

"Some people think that doing all the manly man things such as gyming and being able to do physical activities makes you a real man."

I said putting quotations marks at the words 'manly and man'

"Then what do you think makes a real manly man?"

I ignored the word manly there and said.

"I think a man is an adult male human," I said.

He shook his head before saying,

"That answer is way too simple."

"But it's the truth..."

He gave me a knowing look.

"I know you have more to say."

I sighed and finally took a seat beside him.

"What do you want to hear?"