➸TWENTY-THREE

Taeyong hit Jaehyun's arm when they went inside. Jaehyun turned to him. Mrs. Jung had disappeared in the kitchen.

"Did you know? All the time? Was that why you-" Taeyong asked, eyes big.

"No, I didn't! How would I? You didn't know either, right?" Jaehyun argued.

Taeyong frowned. "I didn't." A blush crept on his cheeks as Jaehyun looked at him longer. All the good memories they had made together were making their way back in his mind. "I- I do remember you now. I just didn't know it was...you."

Yunie had been his best friend when he started high school. He had been 14, Yunie 12 and in middle school. They had hung out nearly every day after school as they had a hobby together. Dancing.

Yunie had been in the dance team because Yongie had wanted to spent more time with him. Yunie did everything for Yongie. Yongie did everything for Yunie. Yongie even skipped school because Yunie been heartbroken from his grandma passing away.

Jaehyun had been his little Yunie. His first best friend, first love. They had been inseparable for two years before Yunie told him a secret one night they had a sleepover: "Yongie, I think my first love likes me back. He's a boy."

But the boy wasn't Yongie. Yongie had been heartbroken, dealt with his first heartbreak. Yunie had talked more and more about his first love, about his blond hair and green eyes. Yongie hated it so he started gradually keep his distance. When Yunie had told him he had had his sweet first kiss, he lost it. It had hurt so much so he got in a fight with Yunie about a random thing that didn't matter and told Yunie to never speak to him ever again.

Yunie never knew about his feelings. A 13 year-old-boy had broken his heart. A year later at the age of 16, he had met someone too. He forgot all about Yunie.

"Hyung?" Jaehyun asked. Taeyong was staring at him.

Taeyong then looked away. "Nothing. To be honest, I had just forgotten all about you. I never wanted to think about you."

"By the way, where did you even disappear? I thought we were best friends but then I couldn't find you anymore." Jaehyun was confused. He had tried reaching for Taeyong some time after their meaningless fight. He had been 13 when his life had changed into a nightmare and he would've needed Yongie the most.

Taeyong looked flustered. He picked his fingernail nervously. "I didn't disappear. I just didn't want to be your friend anymore."

It all made sense now. Why he had felt so comfortable around Jaehyun for unknown reason. Why he had wanted to believe Jaehyun was good. Why he had trusted Jaehyun so easily, with his body, with his secret. Why he had fallen for Jaehyun in the first place.

But this 21-year-old Jaehyun was total opposite of the boy he remembered as Yunie. Yunie was a cute blushing fragile small boy who needed his protection. 14-year-old Yongie had loved this boyish Yunie. But 23-year-old Taeyong had fallen in love with a handsome man that was the one protecting him instead.

"Why?" Jaehyun asked. Taeyong was blushing so hard but he was glad he was wearing make up to cover it.

"Boys! Aren't you coming to eat?" Mrs. Jung called from the kitchen. Taeyong sighed in relief.

"Oh look. Maybe we should go spend time with your mom." Taeyong laughed awkwardly. He started taking off his shoes and jacket. He dropped his bag on the floor.

Jaehyun rolled his eyes and walked after the pink haired.

"Oh- isn't your hair color lovely." Mrs. Jung squeaked when he noticed Taeyong's hair. He had been wearing a hat earlier.