Picking Up The Pieces

Tony wiped his brow as he stood next to Steve, chopping wood.

"Thor didn't say where he was going for answers?" Tony asked, bringing the axe down on the log.

"Sometimes, my teammates don't tell me things. I was kind of hoping Thor would be the exception." Steve said, feeling a tad betrayed. It showed when he swung his axe the wood split immediately, flying into his pile.

"Yeah, well, give him time. We don't know what that Maximoff kid showed him." Tony replied, splitting another piece of wood.

Steve grabbed a log and tore it in half angrily. "'Earth's Mightiest Heroes'. Pulled us apart like candy." He said, bitterly.

Tony stopped and looked at him. "Seemed like you walked away all right."

"Is that a problem?" Steve asked, defensively.

Tony got in his face and stared at him, with a hard expression.

"I don't trust a guy without a dark side. Call me old fashioned." He said.

"Well, let's just say you haven't seen it yet." Steve said, narrowing his eyes in anger.

"You know Ultron's trying to tear us apart, right?" Tony asked, taking a step back.

"Well, I guess you'd know." Steve said, chuckling humorlessly. "Whether or not, you tell us is a bit of a question."

"Banner and I were doing research." Tony said, defending himself.

"That would affect the team!" Steve cried.

"That would end the team. Isn't that part of the mission? Isn't that 'why' we fight, so we can end the fight, so we can get to go home?" Tony asked, looking at him seriously.

Steve tensed up. "Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time." He said with an air of finality.

A cough cut through the tension and they looked over to see Victoria and Laura standing there.

"I'm sorry. Mr. Stark, uh, Clint said you wouldn't mind, but, our tractor, it doesn't seem to want to start at all. I thought you maybe you might..." Laura said, trailing off at the end a bit unsure; she glanced at Victoria. Victoria, though, had her arms crossed and was looking off into the woods, her eyes distant.

Tony glanced at her briefly. "Yeah, I'll give her a kick." He looked at Steve. "Don't take from my pile." He started off to the barn. Laura touched Victoria on the arm lightly, but the immortal just shook her head and Laura walked back into the house.

Steve gazed at her confused.

"What's wrong?" He asked, setting his axe down. She looked at him and hugged herself a bit tighter.

"This situation. It's... too much like it was the first time around." She said, her gaze moving back to the forest.

Steve frowned. "You mean the Battle of New York?"

"No," She replied, shaking her head. "Back before New York was even New York. Back when, I was just Vanranmoe and my sister pulled the same thing that that little witch did. Systematically, pulled my friends apart by preying on their worst fears." She wiped her eyes. "I almost died back there and as much as I love and respect Bruce, I fear what he can do sometimes." She looked at Steve. "I've only reformed once in my life. I don't..." She let out a harsh breath and ran her hand through her hair.

"I don't want to do it anytime soon, or ever, actually." She said. Steve grimaced and hugged her tightly. She let out a little choked sob and he rubbed her back.