Chapter 17

The door swung open and the guards pushed him roughly inside. John glared at them through his dark hair. He hated getting pushed around like he was worthless.

A chill swept up his spine as he straightened up, fidgeting uncomfortably as his hands were still tied up behind his back. The throne room was gorgeous, so gorgeous that John started squealing like a fangirl.

——
"WHERE IS JOHN?" screeched Seraphina from the other side of the world. She burst into ugly tears and banged her fists onto her desk, breaking her perfectly manicured nails in the process.

"I don't know, Seraphina," Elaine replied nervously. Seraphina spun round on her spinning chair and glared at her.

"I WANT DUMPLINGS!" She hollered. Elaine backed away skitterishly. "NOW!!"

"We can go on a field trip to a dumpling restaurant? I can ask the Headmaster..." Elaine suggested, looking at Seraphina with a strange expression like there was something wrong with her. The nerve!

2 hours later...

"Ok, so it should be just..." Remi held up a map. She swung her arm and pointed at the ocean. "There!"

"I don't see it..." Elaine tugged her aqua braid as her eyes searched their surroundings.

"I WANT MY DUMPLINGS!" Seraphina shrieked and stomped her feet furiously against the beach. Sand flew up and landed all over her new dress.  She gasped in horror and huge tears spilled down her cheeks.

Elaine covered her mouth with her hand to hide a laugh. Seraphina saw it anyways and whirled to face Elaine, trudging over with a murderous look in her blue eyes.

Elaine froze up, feeling the effects of Seraphina's ability wash across her, limiting her movement. The surroundings turned a dull grey as everything seemed to halt...

"- There! What's that?" Remi grabbed Seraphina's wrist and jerked her out of her intense concentration. Pulling Seraphina behind her, Remi raced towards the ocean.

"What? Where?" Seraphina asked.

"It's there!" Remi replied.

"No, I can't see it!" Seraphina argued.

"Why not?" Remi snapped, irritated.

Elaine let out a breath in relief and followed them. As they neared the ocean, Seraphina saw what Remi had been trying to point out.

A man with blue skin and long red hair lay on the seabed, gasping for air. He writhed around on the sand, twisting and turning and trying to get back into the sea.

Seraphina's eyes widened as she dashed towards him. Gazing at him with heart eyes, she screamed, "PAPA SMURF!!"

He looked up, surprised, with bright yellow eyes. Then his blue body flopped lifelessly onto the sand, twitching slightly.

Seraphina fell to her knees beside his shuddering body, mouth wide open with a panic expression. "Remi!! What should we do?? We gotta save Papa Smurf!!"

Remi inched forward to examine him. "Seraphina, I don't think... he's Papa Smurf..." she pointed to where his legs should have been. The tide pulled back and revealed a scaly green tail the colour of seaweed.

Seraphina gasped daintily, covering her mouth with a hand. Suddenly, realisation hit her.

"I think he's a merman!" Elaine exclaimed, looking wondrously at him. "I've never seen one before!"

The tide surged back and the man, merman, whatever, smacked his tail onto the seabed in a sudden motion. He swallowed mouthfuls of water, gulping them hungrily.