signs

As soon as Elder Rhiannon spoke, you felt your whole body tense up. But you knew you couldn't let them see that. You had to make them believe that you still trusted them, so that you could discover their true intentions.

You sat down on the edge of your bed and tried to look like a small, lost girl.

"Yeah, we do need to talk," you said, in the smallest voice possible.

You visibly saw Elder Rhiannon's eyes soften, but that was the only break in his character. Nothing that would give you even the slightest clue from him.

You quickly realized that it was the ones in the back that you needed to be paying attention to, not the strong ones in the front.

"I've...heard some things," you said, making your voice quiver, as if you were scared.

In the corner of your eye, you saw the broccoli- haired Elder tremble a bit.

Why would he be nervous? Keep going, test his limits.

"I-I wanna know if they're true," you spoke, making your voice grow more confident as you spoke.

The broccoli- haired Elder shivered again, then took a deep breath and regained his composure.

Dang, they're good, but they're hiding something.

"And we will tell you," Elder Rhiannon told you, soothingly, "but you need to help us."

Elder Diabolos came out to speak, seemingly trembling with rage.

"Whatever my idiotic grandson told you, don't believe a thing," he half said, half shouted, "The boy's gone mad, crazy with grief for that old woman."

You heart ached with pain for Linda, but you knew you needed to analyze what he had said for clues.

Why would it be idiotic to say that, if it was a lie? And why does he sound so mad, if it doesn't affect anything?

You just needed one more piece of evidence, just one more sign, to be sure that they were lying to you.

"That's enough Diabolos," Elder Rhiannon said, glaring at Jisung's grandfather.

Why would it be enough, if Elder Diabolos is actually just angry at his grandson. Why would he have to stop talking? To reduce the risk of accidentally spilling something?

"We don't want to confuse the girl even more with false information," Elder Rhiannon carried on to say.

Bingo. He's basically telling Diabolos to not say some of their secrets. Now I just have to keep up the act until they leave, so they don't become suspicious.

"Well," said the Elder with the nasally voice, "may we please continue now?"

"Of course," Elder Rhiannon said, "We just want you to know, that everything is as it was before you left District 9. This royal family is still... disgusting."

Disgusting was an interesting choice of words for something that they believe is corrupted, you thought.

I wonder why they're doing all this.

You just nodded your head at the Elders, to show them that you agreed.

"And you still have your destiny to fulfill," he continued, his eyes shining down at you with the promise of glory, "You will bring District 9 back to its former status, by whichever means that are necessary."

You gulped.

"Yes, sir," you responded, mimicking the way his eyes shined.

"That's a good girl," he said, and ruffled your hair.