meliorism

Your POV

According to Henry, today was the day.

But then again, yesterday had been the day too. And so had the day before that.

You didn't know what was holding Henry back, but he kept postponing it and spending days alone in his room. If he pushed it back any longer, the capitol would be too prepared.

You knocked on his door at six in the morning, when you were supposed to depart for the capitol.

The day before you had gone over the plan in great detail.

Henry and his employees would head out early in the morning and start the fight against the capitol. You would stay at his house and basically super charge your chi.

Then you would go to the capitol as a grand weapon that no one would see coming. Henry would show them the dark magic he had been kicked out for.

Once you were on the battlefield, the fight would pretty much be won. The capitol would fall and Henry would take the throne. Peace would be restored.

You knocked on his door again. For the past days you'd woken up early to start charging your chi, but Henry had never been awake. Then he had announced that the attack would be postponed yet again, for about four or five days. Time dragged on pretty slow, but your chi got even stronger.

"Henry," you said, through the door.

You heard him grunt and roll out or bed before his sleepy figure opened the door.

"Postpone," he mumbled, before diving back into his bed.

"Why?" you asked, "The more time we waste, the more time the capitol has to prepare. Our advantages slowly become disadvantages, Henry. We don't want that."

"Your right," he said, "But who made you my advisor?"

"You don't have an advisor?" you said, confused.

"Exactly," he said, burying his face in his pillow.

"Okay," you said, still standing in the doorway of his room, "but just tell me why?"

"I'm nervous, okay?" he said, embarrassment heavy in his voice, "I can't screw this up. If I don't go, it won't screw up."

"Henry," you said, "If you don't go, nothing will change. You don't need to worry about screwing something up. I'm confident you'll do the right thing when the time comes and-"

"If your going to give an inspirational speech," Henry said, cutting you off, "at least come inside my room."

"If your going to be a jerk," you deadpanned, "I'm going to eat your breakfast."

With that, you turned around and walked down the stairs, hearing Henry's screams behind you. You heard a thump as he probably fell out of his bed and before you knew it he had barreled past you on the stairs and was munching on his blueberry pancakes in the kitchen.

"So no postpone?" you asked, smirking.

"No," Henry said, sighing, "you were right."

"Of course I was," you said, grabbing your own pancakes and sitting next to him.

Your bond has grown in the time you had been with him. The both of you still didn't agree on everything, but you considered him as a good friend.

It was a friendship you had never been expecting.

You shuddered as you remembered when he tied you to the ceiling over spikes that could have caused your death and when he attempted to choke you on the castle steps.