Chapter 05: Modern Problems

The smell of sterilizer and anti-septics rouses the young commander in training. He could have sworn he was back in the hospital, being treated for the gunshot wound in his back.

He sits up but the pain in his neck flares up, reminding him otherwise. He craned his head and massages at the throbbing pain, hoping to ease it.

"Take it easy, boy, you've been out for quite a while." It's Anderson, the stranger he had met in the workshop. "Quite a stir you caused," he said suddenly.

"Where am I?" He scans the area.

"You're in the infirmary."

He recalls the fight he had with the third-year, and anger builds within him once again.

Anderson noticed he has his fist clenched tight, gripping on to the bedsheets till his fingers turned white.

"Calm down, no use getting worked up again."

"I am calm!"

Anderson shakes his head and stands. "You know what?" He walks over to the medicine cabinet and opens it. "I won't tell you your business so--" he traces a hand over several bottles and picks a suitable one for him. "--take these pills and get some rest. Heard you got a test tomorrow." He pops open the cap, takes two pills in his hands, and passes it to him.

Anderson no longer wants to be with the moody engineer. Aiden could clearly see it too. After handing him a glass of water, he turns to leave the infirmary.

Aiden wants to call out to him, give him the thanks he deserves, but its too late. He has already left.

On the bedside table is the damaged Terrorgate. He gingerly takes it off and examines it.

The lens is cracked, parts of its legs are broken and missing, and wires are exposed out of its underbelly. Such an awful way to go. "God damn third year." He mutters through gritted teeth.

The door to the infirmary slides open again, revealing Selesia. She lets out a disappointed sigh and walks to the side of his bed, resting her weight on one leg and putting a hand on her hip.

She is a sight to behold for any raging hormonal teenagers.

"You're awake, finally. Had a good rest?"

It didn't feel like sleep, more like a momentary lapse of consciousnesses. In and out without a dream for comfort.

He didn't answer her, unsure of what to say. He's still lost in his own thoughts about yesterday's incident. A struggle here, a punch there, friends pulling him away, then darkness.

"Do you ever wonder why you're here?" Selasia begins.

"No ma'am, I'm trying to figure that out myself."

She lets out a scoff. "No I mean, why you're here on this island."

Isn't the answer obvious? "For the commanders course."

"Are you sure? For a commander in training, you sure don't act like one." She folds her arms and shifts her weight again. Those heels must be killing her.

"Sorry," was all he could say.

"Damn right you're sorry." She rubs her temple with a hand and exhales sharply through pressed lips. "Why did you join the commanders course? Money? Power? Girls?"

The question was sudden, but his answer came back just as quick.

"A promise." He interlocks his fingers and rests his hands on his lap. "I created a T-Doll, Taurus .38. Things happened and I had to give her away. I promised her that when I become a commander, I'll take her back." A story summarized within three sentences. If he wanted to, he could make a whole damn book.