Chapter 15: Sangvis Don't Leave Bullet Holes

It's time to start writing seriously! *Cracks neck and knuckles*  Alright! Let's do this!

* * *

    The way home felt like a long drive for Aiden. With no one to talk to, the asphalt seemed to stretch on forever. Light posts, one after another, passed with no distinct features, each one looking the same as the next. Was he stuck on a loop? An endless drive with no exit? He thought otherwise as a sign passed. His exit. With a slow turn, he made it off the freeway and into the suburbs. It's dark, and the street lights did no justice to the visibility.

     Up ahead, his house lights were on. Someone was inside. A figure passed from his bedroom to the work office. It was m45. He could clearly tell from the braids of her hair, and the soft spring in her steps. As he got close to home, the driveway gate didn't open. The sensor could not identify the model of the car and simply stayed lock. He circled around and parked on the street.

     The front door opened as he got out. m45 peeked through the small gap she had made and sighed relief. "Welcome back, Aiden." She revealed herself and bowed courteously. "I thought you were someone else."

     Her statement made him curious. Was it because of the Dodge? She must have been familiar with the Pontiac. To see a Dodge roll down the street made her panicky. "Sorry, should have called you earlier." Aiden apologized as he walked across the yard. His boots were loud on the still night, each step knocking against the stone pathway he had placed years ago.

     The neighbourhood was relatively safe, for the most part. T-Dolls were stationed around to occasionally patrol the area, project some sort of authority presence. Crime was low, but that doesn't mean it's non-existent.

     "It's alright. Where's Elizabeth?" She got to her toes, hoping his little sister would appear with a big, winning smile. She didn't. m45 pivoted aside to allow him in.

     Aiden could see that the living room had been thoroughly cleaned. The floor sparkled with an intense glimmer, his bookshelf had been organized, and the cushions on the couch had been fluffed up. The aromatic smell of chocolate wafted into his nose as he took a breath. It was relaxing.

     "Let me take your jacket." m45 carefully placed her hands on his shoulders and took it off of him. He said his thanks and slowly made his way into the kitchen. Something was in the oven, the source of the aromatic smell came from inside.

     "I made some bread, would you like to have some?"

     Bread for dinner never really made any sense, but he didn't want to hurt her feelings. He nodded and took out a canned drink before accepting the offer. "How's everything?" He asked, wondering what he had missed.

     "Well, I cleaned the living room, kitchen--"

     Aiden waved a hand, motioning for her to stop. "I meant how's everything on your end." He popped the tab on his canned drink and took a sip.

     "Oh," m45 blushed, embarrassed for the blunder. "I'm doing good, but Mrs Holland, not so much. She's getting ill every day." It's no surprise; she's nearly seventy years old. "I tried to get in contact with the commander, but he's always too busy."

     Aiden pressed his lips and placed the canned drink aside. He couldn't believe work was more important than family. He scoffed a little, realizing that he was in the same position. He had not seen his family for five years. "Let's hope he comes home soon, yeah?"

     m45 circled around and got to the oven. "What about you? Have you kept in touch with your family? Other than your little sister, of course."