Chapter 23: I Bet It Looks Good On Your Resume

Aiden, Selesia, and SM-1 knew they were in a lot of trouble. No one needed to say a word. Just from sight alone, they understood the man that exited Baron's safe room was tough. A high valued threat: One of Baron's elite team leader.

Armed with an LMG, several grenades, and dressed from head to toe with thick, jet-black armour, their firearms were useless against the material he wore. It would be tough, but not impossible.

His footsteps thundered in the near quiet hallway as he walked to the centre of the room. Once he stopped, his equipment jangled to a halt, chiming like discordant bells. He scanned the pillars -- through his full face mask -- and wondered where the three had gone to. It didn't matter; he still held the key to Baron's safe room.

"In ten minutes time, Baron will be long gone. A chopper is coming to get him." He announced as he rested his LMG on his shoulder. No one said a word. They were being careful. "Fine, be that way." He readied his stance, aimed at the pillars nearby, and let the LMG loose.

The blast was deafening. Selesia and Aiden couldn't hear themselves think. Fortunately, the elite was not aiming at them. Not yet. Once he knew the pillars he aimed for was clear, he aimed for the next one and repeated the process. Clear. No one was behind it.

Selesia quickly took the opportunity, while the elite was lining up to shoot his next set of pillars, and threw her stun grenade against the ground, letting it bounce towards the elite's eyes. It popped deafeningly, forcing the elite to stagger. Unable to see, he grabbed a grenade it tossed it away haphazardly. It flew far and wide, missing them by a long shot.

"Now!" She screamed and fired her AR-15 at him. SM-1 and Aiden joined in, carefully aiming and shooting their firearms. The elite hunkered down, turning his body away from the incoming barrage of bullets. He felt nothing and simply waited patiently for the assault to end.

"Attack was ineffective!" SM-1 cried out.

"Cease fire!" Selesia ordered and got back into cover, changing her magazine.

The elite laughed haughtily at their attempt and took his stance once again. Knowing where they were by sound, he aimed at a pillar and focused his fire there. Selesia was in deep trouble.

"I'm taking fire, need assistance!" She screamed through the blasting of ripping concrete.

SM-1 changed position and fired, hoping he would redirect his target. He did. It bought Selesia enough time to relocate to a better position. Aiden shifted too and emptied a clip to distract the elite.

The elite grunted and roared, pissed. They were scurrying around like rats. He was being played a fool, and he despised them for it. "Argh! You all are annoying!" He pressed the trigger tighter, feeling every recoil run rampant up his arms.

"Hold on for a few more seconds!" Selesia ordered, knowing he would run out of ammo soon.

A dry click resounded throughout the huge hallway. He looked at his LMG then back at the bullet riddled pillars. "Damn it!" He threw his empty LMG aside and drew out his sidearm: a P226. "Come out!" He gestured boldly with the gun in hand.

They knew it would be suicidal. They stayed in place, listening to him breathe impatiently through his mask. Selesia looked at her wristwatch and clicked her tongue. They were running out of time.

"SM-1, distract him! Aiden, on me!"

"Roger!" SM-1 got out of cover and fired her rifle. Once she got his attention, Aiden and Selesia rushed toward him.