Chapter 07: What About Me?

Thank you for your patience! Nowadays I write while I'm on my smoke break or when I'm getting ready to sleep. That explains the slowness in my publishing.

I hope you enjoy this chapter!

* * *

It's been years since Aiden has a nightmare. The last time he did was when he was 8 years old, and it was about a train, with a face, chasing him down a city street, while its theme music jangles with an ear bursting, bass boosted tune.

He wished he could revisit that nightmare and punch the sucker in the face.

Now his nightmare is a replay of his reckless engagement with the Sangvis troops. Knife in hand and dust all around him.

They just keep coming, and his swings are getting heavier, sluggish. He's not tired, but his body can't seem to keep up with what he needs to do.

To protect Selesia and HS2000 while they are incapacitated.

Rippers move in quick and seizes his arms, locking them. Vespids then joins in, piling on top of him. Lastly, Jaegers with their heavy rifles pointing at his face.

No matter how much he struggled, no matter how much he screamed.

No one is there to help.

The last thing he sees is the blast of the rifles.

"AAH!" He could finally scream. He jolts up and clutches tightly onto the grip of his combat knife. He rolls off the long bench he was laying upon and draws the blade out.

There sits S.A.T.8, with a warm smile, facing the razor's end.

"Nightmares, sir?" She tilts her head, her smile never wavering under the gleam of the knife.

Aiden is swallowing air and gasping for breaths. A cold sweat runs the side is his face, tickling his cheek. Once his eyes focus, he mutters a curse and sheathes the blade.

"Just a bad dream..." He groaned and tries to calm his beating heart

"Also known as nightmares," she corrected him. "Come," She pats at her thighs. "You still need to rest."

"I'm good." He rejected the offer. "Where are the others?" He wipes the sweat off his face, with the back of his hand, and looks around. The rest of Team Castle is nowhere to be seen. Selesia too.

"In the command room trying to get communications back online. With Sangvis routed, for the time being, they need to let HQ know of the situation."

"I understand. Come on, let's see how they're doing."

"I'm sorry, sir, but I've been instructed to not let you leave the infirmary until they come back."

"Well, overwrite that order and let's meet up with them."

"No can do; Selesia is now the commanding officer for this mission. To overwrite my instructions, you must hold the same rank or higher." She pats at her thighs again. "Come, rest."

"I appreciate the invite, I really do, but I can't rest knowing Sangvis can attack at any time." He turns away from her and heads for the door.

Before he could reach for it, S.A.T.8 grabs him by the back of his collar, pulls him down, and pins him to the floor, legs astride over his hip.

"Do not resist, sir. You need to rest, so let big sister take care of you."

"S.A.T.8! Get off me!"

"I will do whatever it takes to fulfill my mission." She firmly pins his wrists to the ground, stopping his useless squirming.

"Okay! I get it!" He lets out a breath, annoyed. "Say, S.A.T.8," There's something he wants to try. Will it even work? "what's your model number?"