Chapter 24: Can You Medicate A Broken Heart?

An extremely short chapter for today!

* * *

     Quillana rubbed her arm and waited patiently for the nurse to give her the results. For the past few weeks her friends had been noticing her change in attitude. She'd been down, dismissive, and desolated. To take her mind off of Aiden's death, she'd overworked herself for the course and cry herself to sleep, waking the next morning with puffy eyes and a gut-wrenching ache. A pain that would last the whole day, and the days to come.

     SRS returned with her usual sharp eyes and strict posture, holding three bottles in hand and a clipboard in another. She placed them gently on the table in front of her and tapped on the first one. "To help you sleep." Then the next. "Anti-depressants." And another. "For your appetite." She turned around and gave the clipboard one last look.

     The T-Doll never wanted to give her any of the medication. What she needed was to see Aiden again. Killing sadness with science was never her manner, but letting her leave empty-handed would surely make her position as head nurse questionable to others. To be honest, she would gladly take the pills back and show her Aiden's live report. She wished he would come back sooner.

     "Is there anything else?" Quillana questioned tiredly, looking at the T-Doll with sunken eyes. "I would like to go back to my dorm now."

     "Y-Yes, you may go. Take the pills in moderation. You'll find the amount written on-"

     "Thank you." Quillana stood up, a little off-balance, and bowed, taking the pills with her as she left. Out the door another student stood by, waiting for her. A third year. She vaguely remembered him. He was the guy that threw Aiden's dinergate to the ground.

     "Hey, you okay?" He asked in a soft whisper.

     She didn't want to talk to him, let alone be near the man who harmed Aiden's creation. She turned and walked away, ignoring him completely. Offended, he chased after her and grabbed her by the wrist. "Hey, I'm asking because I was concerned! Your friends, they are worried about you."

     Quillana yanked her arm free, hard enough to made her stagger. "D-Don't touch me...please." She begged. As she retreated, a loud crunch could be heard. They were her pills, each tablet sprawled loosely across the floor. She grabbed what she could and hurriedly stuffed them in a bottle. "I...I need to go." Turning about-face, she rapidly made her way to her dorm.

     The third-year bit his lower lip, hard enough to draw blood. "Still can't let him go? I'll show her I'm way better than that dead man."

✮ ✮ ✮

     ♫♫♫ D.A.N.C.E - Justice ♫♫♫

     Aiden can't believe he had to drive the two girls back to base. The rental was a piece of shit; the fuel consumption was horrible, the speed topped at 70kmh/43.4mph, and the seats were cracked leather. Selesia told him they had no choice as the choppers back at base were engaged in other activities and they needed to rent the cheapest vehicle. What made the journey bearable were the musics installed in the botched up radio. Turning the knob made the volume indicator go crazy, either rising or dropping as it pleased. It took some time to adjust to acceptable levels. As long as no one else fiddles with it, it should be fine.

     He turned his head to look at Selesia, who was asleep with her head cocked back and her mouth wide open. He scoffed at the sight and shook his head, wondering if he should take a photo of it. Lifting his head to check the rear-view, SM-1 was sprawled on the backseat, caching her memories. Most people would call it sleeping but he was an engineer. He's not like most people. They had a long day and he thanked them under his breath for the help they had provided.

    The car slowed toward S05's checkpoint and stopped when a security T-Doll raised a hand. "Nice to see you again, trespasser." It was the T-Doll he eluded before. She gave him a dirty smile and rested a hand against the winded down window. "Reason for entry?"

     "Passing through the sector. Heading towards South Quay." He answered with a devilish smirk, still amazed at how he managed to slip past them. "Is there a problem?"

     "Yes." She dug into her pouch and revealed a blackened watch. "You dropped this. We don't like keeping souvenirs." With a light toss, it landed softly on his lap. It was his watch he used to create the distraction. It's all charred and crumbling. He wondered if it was still salvageable. "Have a safe trip, trespasser. Hope everything goes well for you."

     Aiden nodded and said his thanks, driving through the now opened barrier and gate.

     The drive to South Quay helped with his thoughts. Long drives always had. He thought about what had happened, his friends, Elizabeth, Selesia, SM-1, Taurus and Quillana. It made his heart sank, but knowing he would return gave him hope. Made him feel lighter, happier.

     South Quay was in view, and in the distance he could spot a huge submarine with the words 'Marianna' painted on the side. It was S00's supply submarine. It was the workshop crew. He sped up, unable to contain his excitement anymore, and listened to the car roar.

✮ ✮ ✮

     Quillana looked at the pills she had laid on the desk and rolled each of them with a finger. She had never needed to take medication for her problems. This was her first. She blamed herself for letting him go. Running the memories of that night over and over again, wishing she could go back to it and change it. Held him tighter than ever before and not let him leave. It was her fault. She said those words too many times until it no longer made sense. She took a pill and swallowed hard.

     With each passing minute the bad thoughts were replaced with the good. The time they spent together weren't long and it made her cherish him more. The sadness came rushing back in with contempt an hour later. She took another pill and swallowed dryly.

     The label on the bottle said twice a day, but which pills was it for? She couldn't tell no thanks to the third year who had claimed he was concerned, and made her spill her bottles. She didn't care any more and took a different colored pill. In the next half an hour, her head began to spin. She was getting tired, sleepy. It was probably for her one hundred sleepless nights. She caught herself yawning and laid tiredly on her bed.

     With each pill, she began to lose her own grip of reality. Soon, she began to remember less of him – the shared moments. The intrusive thoughts cleared up, and she wanted to forget it all. Just for today.

     She reached out for the bottle and took one last look at it.

     "To forget it all, I'll take it all." With that, she cocked her head back and swallowed everything.

* * *

I'm going to take a short break! I hope you have enjoyed this chapter!