Chapter 19: Through The Fire and Flares

Guess the title reference!
Hint: It's a song title!

* * *

"Breaking news, an explosion had just occurred on the High Grand Hotel this evening-"

"-number of casualties is still unknown-"

"-many are injured and are being transported to a nearby hospital-"

"-nothing but smoke! The west wing of the 25th floor is -"

"-been years since an incident of this scale-"

"-could this be the work of a terrorist?"

Baron grinned devilishly in front of the TV and placed the remote aside. Every news channel was in on the action. A grand way for Aiden to die. With a bang, not a whimper.

"He will not be missed." He said before downing a glass of bourbon. The liquid slid down his throat in one, smooth motion. A victory drink which he thought he deserved.

The door banged loudly in the near quiet room. Before he had a chance to respond, Selesia bursts in.

"Where is Aiden?" She stormed to the desk and slammed her hands on it, rattling the bottle and glasses with audible tinkles and clings. "Last I heard he went to your office."

"I don't know. A guy like him is probably cutting classes." He shrugged.

She flinched, revealing a scowl on her face. "A guy like him? What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Defiant. Rebellious. Foolhardy? Need I say more?" He traced a finger along the liquor bottle and licked his lips. Its curves were elegant, just like hers. He looked at her from top to bottom.

"He may be many of those, but he does not cut classes."

"Well, wherever he is, I'm sure he's having a blast of a time." He thought he was funny, chuckling and laughing at his own joke. Selesia found it to be intolerable. "If you're worried about a single course participant," he continued, "you should reevaluate your post as the head tactician."

"Fuck you, you fat bastard." She backed away, but not before grabbing his half-empty bourbon bottle. "If anything happens to him-"

"What? Hm? What are you going to do?" He shot back a glare.

Silence. She stared daggers at him, fingers curled tight around the bottle. Baron leaned back and interlaced his stubby fingers. "I thought so. Now get out of my office."

Selesia turned away and stormed off. She slammed the door behind her and unscrewed the bottle. She eyed it for a moment, took a deep breath, then chugged it down. It burned, forcing a cough to escape her lips. She wiped her wet lips with the back of her hand and exhaled sharply.

The world went hazy and she needed that. She needed the distraction. She needed to see the world in a veil of blur and uncertainty. Her mind was always sharp and it was a double-edged sword. She needed to dull her senses, to make her feel doubtful, or else the news on the radio and TV would haunt her for life. She needed to tell herself that Aiden was still alive, despite what the words on the TV had said.

She needed to get drunk and half a bottle was not enough.

+++

After a few hours, the news began to reveal a compiled list of names who were involved in the explosion. There were separate lists: Missing, Rescued, Injured, Dead. Everyone on the island gasped and chattered rowdily. Some even cheered upon seeing a particular name on the 'Dead' list.