Chapter 06: Don't Mess With The Cook

The weekends are to be spent outside with family or friends, to enjoy the downtime and loiter about the mainland after a week of its absence. To enjoy fast food and buy clothes that are on sale or simply stay at home to rest and recuperate.

Aiden is having none of that.

He is stuck in class with Selesia, who is supervising the lessons he had missed since the start of the year. Lessons about repair costs, resource conversions, logistic calculations. Things he had done before in his past occupation. It's boring, tedious, and dry.

What comes next are pop quizzes. A single paper, some printed on both sides, about the topic she had covered. It always surprises her how high of a score he could get. The questions he got wrong are mostly miscalculated or silly mistakes due to insufficient checking.

She has to wrap up three more topics and hand out the pop quizzes before she could end the morning, but he has already reached beyond the minimum criteria to pass the first year. An impressive feat.

She had received an updated biodata of Aiden Cross from Kryuger a few days back. It comes with a brief description of him.

He was an engineer from The Company with five years of working experience and terminated due to his lack of work performance.
The creator and developer of T-Doll Taurus .38 Special.
Has three years of small arms training and a younger sister, Elizabeth Cross, who is working for a commander in Sector S01.
Owns a house, a driver's license, and is an avid cook.

A simple data about the man she's looking after for the weekend. It's all she needed for now.

Her phone beeps in a mid quiz, breaking Aiden's concentration. She puts up a hand and apologizes for forgetting to keep it on silent. She takes a quick read of the message she had received and pops the phone back into her skirt pocket.

Yes, after years of advancement, skirts now has pockets.

"You have thirty more minutes."

"I'm already done." He puts down the pen, stands from his seat, and walks towards the front to hand her his paper.

"Go ahead and have a break while I mark this down. Come back in half an hour," she stated as she glanced over his work. She could tell most of the answers are correct.

He scratches his jaw and leans over the teacher's desk, resting his palms on it. "How many more do I have to do?"

She could tell he's getting restless. He's a man who works better with his hands than pushing papers. It's plain to see. She taps a finger on the desk and bites her lower lip, unsure if the next course of action she's going to take would be a wise choice. She takes out her phone and skims the received message once again.

"No more for today." She breathes out the answer. "But I need your help with something."

"You need my help?" He leans back and crosses his arms.

"I've been picked for a logistical mission, but it requires two people. All of the third years are out of the island and the second and first years are not qualified to be doing outdoor missions."

He could already tell where this is going. "And what makes me qualified?" She's going to pick him, and he knows it.

"You're not, but you're here right now and I need one more participant." Her gaze is locked upon his, focused and firm.

A perfect opportunity to make a deal with her presents itself. "What do I get in return?" He is in no position to be making deals, he knows that, but does she?

She looks away and sucks in a breath. "If you join me, consider your second confinement revoked."

Aiden couldn't help but smirk. "Alright, I'm in."