Chapter 18: Please, Not Like This

I know I said after March, but I've been writing in between my spare time.

Apologies, this chapter is long. Take your time to read it!

Enjoy!

* * *

     The car hummed quietly as Aiden drove down an empty lane. There's not a lot of traffic considering the fact that it was two in the morning.

     "So, how's life?" Lawrence broke the silence. He turned his head and gave Aiden a little grin.

     He did not respond and kept his eyes on the road. Aiden questioned himself as to why he was the one driving when there were three capable T-Dolls joining in for the ride.

     "You're still angry at me, huh?" Lawrence continued. "I was just doing my job. It was either the coal mines or dismantling. Sending her away, without her memories, was the best option out of the two."

     The assurance didn't calm him one bit. Taurus has been his greatest work, but she was more than that. She was family.

     Aiden slowed the car and stopped at the red light. He looked into the rearview, seeing them asleep, shoulder to shoulder.

     "Where's the hotel we're staying in?"

     "It's not too far. We already booked our rooms. You'll need to get one from reception."

     "Where is the panel being held?" He asked, preferring to plan ahead instead of engaging in mindless chatter.

     "In the convention hall. It's in the next building, connected via a sky bridge."

     "Convenient." He added plainly.

     Lawrence sighed and rested his elbow to the side. "Can we not talk about work and just... I don't know, talk?"

     Aiden did not respond. Once the light turned green, he drove on.

     "Come on, man."

     "Alright, you want to talk? Fine. The doll you maintained, the one that malfunctioned and caused a kitchen fire. What happened to her?"

     Lawrence was left stunned and speechless by the unexpected topic. He had to take a moment to find the answer. "It was daily maintenance, something you often do back then. She was sent by Baron Sekler when he was a candidate-"

     "I want to know what you did to the doll."

     Lawrence pressed his lips together when he got cut off. Aiden was no pushover and he could sense it. Maybe the course had something to do with his slow change of personality?

     "I had to archive her memories."

     "You son of a bitch." Aiden's fingers curled tight around the wheel, knuckles turning white from the vice-like grip.

     "Hey, she asked me to do it."

     Aiden flicked the signal stick and made a turn. He took the opportunity to look at him as he checked his blind spots. "Then explain the malfunctioning."

     "I still can't figure that out. She was fine when she left the bay. A little shaken, but fine."

     "Shaken? By what?" He slowed the car and stopped at another red light. He turned his head to look at him.

     Lawrence scratched the side of his cheek, trying to recall the moment. It was tough; it had happened long ago. "I don't know, but that was the last time I saw her."