Chapter 13

She was scaring Newt.

Emma had hardly spoken to him, or to any one of them after what happened last night.

The only answers they got were from Kyra, and those were few.
According to Kyra, because of whatever drugs they'd given Emma, as a side effect she had become stuck in a memory.

Unable to wake up, at least until Kyra had grabbed her arm and ordered her to. That had been a little freaky, but Newt wasn't any less thankful for it.

What memory though? He knew, or at least suspected it had something to do with him, judging by the way Emma kept looking at him, as if making sure he was still there.

She continued to stay silent about it, and if Kyra knew something, she wasn't saying anything either.

No matter who tried to talk to her, Emma wouldn't say anything to anyone, completely emotionally cutting herself off.

Everyone was worried, but Newt was most of all.

"That's Marcus's house. We should find him inside."
Jorge nodded towards a large building two yards away down the wide street the group was on.

"Okay. Only two of us should go though, no one than could be recognized. Anymore than that and someone might start to get suspicious. You may trust this Marcus guy but you haven't seen him in who knows how long. People change."
Emma adjusted her weapons belt so it was hidden under her shirt and her jacket.
Jorge had been so kind as to grab it back when they were escaping his warehouse, and had given it back to her earlier this morning.

"I'll go with you," Newt immediately offered, knowing that Emma was going to go.
She didn't answer verbally, but nodded. No one contested that, as there were definitely some things the two of them needed to talk about.

As the pair walked over to the house, leaving their friends and a slightly apprehensive Jorge behind, Newt glanced at her.
"Emmy?"

"Hm?"

"Why won't you talk to me about was happened? I want to know."

"There's nothing to know," she replied, though her voice sounded shaky, like she was trying not to think about it.

Newt took her arm, stopping her. They stopped, having disappeared from view of their friends behind the corner of another building.

Emma sighed. "Newt we can't do this right now. We don't have time."

"Well I'm making time. Right now, because I love you, and I care about you, and I want to know so I can at least try to help you. But I can't if you won't bloody let me."

Pursing her lips, she turned to him, almost like she was angry, but more sad than she was angry.
"You want to know? You really want to know?"

Newt raised an eyebrow, a subtle gesture for her to continue.

Taking his hands in hers, she looked up at him with watery eyes.
"I don't really want to go into detail on it, but....I thought you were dead. For the longest time, and it just..............completely destroyed me."

Saying nothing, Newt just pulled her to him, wrapping his arms around her.
"I promise love, I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere."

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Walking up to the house with him, Emma was certainly feeling a lot better than she had the previous night. But what she had seen had still terrified her.