Chapter 15

Emma had never realized how cold she actually was until she had a pair of warm gloves on, but even then her hands were still kinda cold.
She had been given a coat in addition to her jacket, which definitely helped things, but it was taking a bit for her body to warm up.

"Trade me gloves Emmy," Newt said, giving her his soft leather pair for the fingerless ones she'd been given.

"Are you sure?" She asked as she slipped his gloves on, then sighed at how soft and fuzzy they were inside.

Newt chuckled. "I'm sure love."

Smiling at each other, Emma gave him a light kiss on the tip of his nose, the two taking a seat with their friends around a small campfire, with the exceptions of Thomas and Teresa.
"So, what are we going to do now?" Frypan questioned.

"I don't know, but I intend to enjoy it. Not being on the run every day.....sounds really nice," Minho sighed.

"Good that," Emma smiled, looking to Newt who leaned down, giving her a light kiss.

"Get a tent shanks," Minho snickered, Kyra kicking his skin.
"Watch it shuckface!"

"You know you sound really ridiculous every time you spout one of those made up words. It's freaking hilarious." Kyra wrinkled her nose.

Frypan chuckled. "Great, now its like we've got two Minho's instead of one. What did we ever do to deserve this fate?" He exclaimed dramatically, looking up at the sky.

A moment of silence, and then all of them burst out laughing for what felt like several minutes, and every time any of them would look at each other they would start laughing again.

They barely even noticed when the woman and the boy from before approached their group, with the boy intently reading a book, occasionally taking notes in the margins.

"Hey, we just wanted to come by and see if everything was being taken care of for you guys," the doctor spoke.

"Yes, we're fine, thank you. Will Brenda be alright?"

"She's resting," the woman replied, not really answering Kyra's question.

The boy briefly glanced up from his book, and his eyes widened. He blinked, several times.

"Kyra? Emma?"

Everyone turned to her. "You two know this shank? Or does he just happen to know you?" Minho asked, raising an eyebrow.

Kyra shook her head ever so slightly.
Then she shrugged.
"If I did, I don't remember anymore."

Emma just gave the boy a confused look.

Shutting his book, the boy put it under his arm, and rubbed his left temple.
"Okay. Okay. I should've figured this might happen.....okay. I'll just try and keep this short. Almost three years ago, we knew each other," he said, indicating to himself, Emma, and Kyra.

"What's your name?" Kyra asked, a hopeful sort of look in her eyes, like maybe it would help her remember if she knew his name.

"Henry. Though as εκλεκτοί......we knew each other by number. It was something WCKD had us do because it dehumanized us, made it easier for them to turn us into weapons. I was Twelve. Kyra was Twenty-eight. And you were Number One." He nodded to Emma, who appeared thoughtful.

"How many of you were there?" Frypan sounded incredulous.

Henry took a breath.
"Five hundred."

Frypan sputtered a little.

"The Right Arm somehow got an agent on the inside---"

"My husband," Mary explained softly. "He was trying to find out where WCKD had our children. But if he learned anything, he never had the time to find out. WCKD was going to dispose of the remaining Elite's because they no longer wanted to waste resources on keeping you kids alive and they were afraid they could no longer control you, and so he did what he could to break the five of you out."