Chapter 16

Everything, all of it, seemed like a dream.
They'd found the Right Arm. She had a mom.

Newt, and the others had assured her that it was completely fine if she wanted to spend time getting to know her mom, but it felt odd not being with them.

Vince had been surprised at first, but then had just rolled with it. Apparently her mom had talked about Emma and her brother to him some, and Vince seemed glad that Mary had her daughter back.

Emma could also sense that there was something going on between him and Mary, but chose not to ask.

Besides, it wasn't really her place to anyways.

It all felt so incredibly surreal, some small part of Emma wondered if maybe she was still hallucinating. But ever since Kyra had woken her up with whatever she'd done, she had stopped having them.

And though the both of them were a little uncertain at first, soon enough Mary and Emma (or, Grace) were talking about anything and everything.

Mostly they discussed Emma's life she remembered so far, her friends, memories from her time in the Maze, her mother's eyes sparkling whenever Emma talked about Newt, with a knowing glint in her eyes.

And then Mary would tell her little stories, here and there, about David, her dad, their dog Bark, her brother Ben, who had always been so overprotective of Emma, ever since she was born.
And the song she used to sing to her as a lullaby......

Emma's eyes had watered a little when she explained to Mary that she had often found herself humming a song when she was in the Maze,but had always been frustrated that she never knew the words.

Her mother sung it to her then, both women trying and failing not to cry.

Wise men say, only fools rush in. But I can't help, falling in love with you.......

Emma could tell that some things were difficult for her mom to talk about, but she understood. Some things were hard for her to talk about too.
Like Chuck, Winston, Alby. Ben. Jack.

But for the most part, she was okay now. Emma had so much now that she didn't have before, and for that she was immensely grateful.
WCKD couldn't hurt them anymore.

After awhile, Mary had noticed how she was always looking around, making sure she could see where her friends were, most particularly Newt, and encouraged Emma to go spend some time with them now.
They would have years with which to catch up, so it was okay if she didn't spend ever waking minute with her mother, even though that did make Emma feel kind of guilty. Okay, incredibly guilty.

Everyone with the exceptions of Thomas, Teresa, and Aris were there, the latter down in the camp with Harriet and Sonya.

"Love, I thought you were spending time with your mum?" Newt said as she climbed up the small rocky ridge where the rest of them all sat, overlooking the camp.

"I was, but then she encouraged me to come spend some time with you guys. After all, we have a lifetime to catch up on everything," she said as she sat next to him, smiling.

"Maybe we can share your mom," Kyra suggested, partially sad and partially being sarcastic,
Minho giving her a sad smile.

"Well, I guess we could do that. After all, Newt was/is the Glade Mother, but he's mine, so I can definitely share my mom with you guys." Emma grinned.

The five of them exploded into laughter, with Newt caught between furiously blushing and laughing. Emma gave him a kiss on the cheek, which only made him blush harder, which she thought made him look incredibly handsome.