Chapter 18

A large truck barreled through the half burnt debris behind them, someone laying on the horn and yelling at the top of his lungs like a maniac as he came to their rescue.
And it was none other than Jorge.

Emma could've laughed aloud for joy if the situation weren't serious.

Driving right into the side of the helicopter parked on the little ridge behind them, he sent it tumbling down the small hill, huge pieces of shrapnel flying through the air.

Everything was chaos after that, people running left and right, some picking up the confiscated weapons and using them to fight back against the WCKD soldiers.

"Get her out of here!" Janson shouted, men ushering Ava Paige away.

Emma got up to run after them, but was kept back by strong arms.
"Emmy no! You'll just get yourself killed! I'm not losing you again!"

She sobbed with frustration as she watched Ava get away, Newt just holding her close. She didn't fight him. She couldn't.
"I'm sorry love, I'm sorry."

Minho and the others got to their feet. "You good?!" Thomas yelled to them over the noise, Frypan nodding.

"Freeze! Drop it, kid!" A soldier pointed a launcher at him.

And he did. Well, sort of.

Freezing for a total of five seconds, Thomas suddenly chucked it into the middle of some WCKD soldiers, diving to the ground with his arms over his head.

"Run! Get down!"

The explosion was loud and bright, bodies and debris soaring into the air from the force of the blast, Newt tackling Emma to the ground, shielding her with his body.

Both coughing from the dust and smoke, they went to help each other up only to find two guns being pointed at them.
"On your feet! Now or we shoot!"

Couldn't they ever catch a shucking break?!!

Out of nowhere, the two men turned to face each other, and fired their launchers, falling to the ground as their bodies spasmed painfully from the electric blasts they had just given the other.

Kyra stood just behind them, panting, a pained expression on her face.
"You're welcome. Don't just stand there! Go! I don't think I'll be able to do that again."

Taking the cue from her they ran up, and were almost to where Vince stood in the bed of the truck.
He was firing what was apparently a machine gun at any WCKD soldier in sight, as well as attempting to fire at the one helicopter that had taken off, as if daring it to come closer.

Charging at them a soldier lifted one of those frequency guns in their direction, and a wave of high pitched noise hit her again. She tried to put her hands over her ears, to keep moving, but she tripped, falling as the noise battered her eardrums. She felt something wet on her ears.

"Emmy!"

Her head felt like someone was shaking her brain, making it vibrate painfully inside her skull. Vaguely she registered Newt tussling with someone in her peripheral vision, but her eyesight had gotten so foggy with pain she had become unable to focus.

And then it stopped, but she was still so out of it that she was pretty much still helpless as she watched Newt fight over the frequency gun with the WCKD soldier, who knocked him back.

The man raised the barrel of his gun to hit Newt hard across the face, when out of nowhere there came a blood-curdling scream, and the man was smacked hard across the back of the head with a broken wooden plank.